What is Meant by the Phrase: "The Buck Stops Here."?

This is a phrase I seldom hear in public, but I do hear it on television from time to time. What exactly does it mean? Does it mean to take responsibility?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's derived from the expression "pass the buck," which means passing on responsibility to someone else (the buck refers to a dollar bill, and the expression relates to some old game of passing a dollar bill around).

So, getting back to "the buck stops here." If you kept the buck and stopped passing it, you accepted responsibility rather than continuing to try to get out of it.

The phrase was made famous by president Truman, who had a sign on his desk saying "the buck stops here," meaning he was willing to take the ultimate responsibility for the decisions of his administration.

• 1 decade ago

"The buck stops here" is a phrase that was popularized by U.S. President Harry S. Truman, who kept a sign with that phrase on his desk in the Oval Office. The phrase refers to the fact that the President has to make the decisions and accept the ultimate responsibility for those decisions. Truman received the sign as a gift from a prison warden, who was also an avid poker player. The ship's motto of the U.S. Naval Aircraft Carrier, USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), is also "The Buck Stops Here"

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is Meant by the Phrase: "The Buck Stops Here."?

This is a phrase I seldom hear in public, but I do hear it on television from time to time. What exactly does it mean? Does it mean to take responsibility?

Source(s): meant phrase buck stops here: https://trimurl.im/a/what-is-meant-by-the-phrase-t...
  • 4 years ago

Buck Stops Here

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

*Most men in the early west carried a jack knife made by the Buck knife company. When playing poker it as common to place one of these Buck knives in front of the dealer so that everyone knew who he was. When it was time for a new dealer the deck of cards and the knife were given to the new dealer. If this person didn't want to deal he would "pass the buck" to the next player. If that player accepted then "the buck stopped there".

• abe
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It was an expression used by President Truman to emphasize that his administration was not to be used to shuffel projects from office to office in order to delay them, so he coined the phrase "The Buck Stops Here" meaning it will get done once it leaves his presidential office.

• 7 years ago

Its when a male a female rabbit finished mating, the male collapses and passes out. He the male is called the buck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.