Who was the greatest General ever, in your opinion?

• Aaron
    Favorite Answer

A great general is someone who possesses many skills - social, tactical, strategical, military knowledge - and can adapt to any situation and be victorious. I do not consider someone to be a great general only because they won many battles because in many cases the weapons or type of warfare already practiced by the general's culture was superior to another and simply had to be unleashed against an incompetent enemy, like in the case of Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great. They were brave and good generals, but never proved themselves geniuses.

I'm not familiar with every great commander in history so we're all answering famous people (famous for their influence in history which is often just lucky timing) even though there are many others who have not achieved the recognition in history that they deserve, and who I know less about and may be better generals, such as Flavius Belisarius.

I don't know much about naval history but Nelson is of course among the best.

As for land forces commanders, I vote for Julius Caesar because of his great rapport with his soldiers he earned their vital loyalty and maintained tight command of them in and out of battle. He was a political and militarily cunning, and an excellent tactician winning battles against larger, identically equipped and disciplined armies by adapting to his opponents tactics.

I also say Napoleon for the reasons mentioned by others though I know few details about him.

Richard the Lionhearted was an incredible man who deserves at least honorable mention. He re-conquered the canaan (without attempting Jerusalem) with a tiny, swift moving, extraordinarily disciplined force, and was a demon in combat. He could adapt to use unusual mixes of soldiers for maximum effectiveness and quickly react to enemy moves. He was so extraordinary that eventually the muslims thought he was God in human form punishing them.

I say Saladin for the classiest general.

And like I said in the beginning, there are many brilliant generals including many in more recent history, but we only remember the most famous off the top of our heads. Haha this question would require too much research.

Genghis Khan with out a doubt in my opinion. Won countless battles while almost always being outnumbered. Was a great Warrior, and had such keen tactics and strategies that no one stood a chance against him. His ability to learn and adapt to every battle situation meant that he never fought the same war twice. That meant any who opposed him didn't have any advantage from knowledge of his previous battles. He lead the Mongolian Empire to eventually become the largest that the world has ever known spanning across almost the entirety of Asia and India as well as a large portion of western and southern Europe.

Also King Leonidas should get an honorable mention. Extraordinary leader in the face of a massive army with no chance of success. He took his small army of men and made a heroic symbol for Sparta. Ultimately losing the battle of Thermopylae but making a stand that showed the Persians that Sparta would not easily be walked over, and gave the Spartan army that followed (and eventually defeated the Persians) a symbol to rally around. The fact that a small number of Spartans could hold off and do severe damage to an entire army for three days meant that an entire Spartan army could not and would not lose! Extreme bravery and leadership in the face of certain death...yeah, I would say he was great.

Alexander the Great!!!! Always in the thick of battle, wounded many times, and was undefeated in battle and gained the greatest Ancient Empire in history. :)

Napoleon Bonaparte was a Genius too.

Lord Nelson is the greatest Navy general of all times, he had SO many fantasic victorys, The Nile and battle of Trafalgar being the most known, he was killed in the Battleof Trafalgar where he led the vastly outnumberd British to defeat Napoleons combined French and Spanish navy.

Lord Nelson lost his arm in the Nile battle and an eye in another. He was shot by a french sharpshooter because he always put himself in the thick of battle, he bled to death a few minuets later. He saved Britain from Napoleon.

The Duke of Welington was awesome too, he won a battle in India when the Brits were outnumberd 6 to 1 and they still won. Not to mention leading the British to victory against Napolian in the battle of Waterloo, deafeating Napolian once and for all.There were two amazing German Generals in WW2 too, one was infomouse in North Africa for beating the British, and the other for constantly beating the Americans despite being vastly outnumberd, the first time Americans came into contact with the Germans, this General (forgot his name) compleatly smashed the Americans and sent them running.

I think both generals were killed by Hitler because Hitler thought they planned an assasintion against him. Either way, both German Generals showed amazing tactical brilliance in all battles, leading victory after victory.

The guy who fries chicken! Yumseroo! I think the best way to appraise the greatest would be to determine whom had the most challenging ratio of resources (including field intelligence) versus remit. Of course this is very difficult given the immense variety of conflicts over the centuries. Personaly any general capable of showing compassion and letting his humanity assist his decision making whilst delivering an acceptable level of victory gets a vote from me.

• A. T.

In my opinion, Vo Nguyen Giap was the greatest general ever.

Under the leadership of Giap, the Vietnamese defeated the French and the Americans in Vietnam.

Source(s): The First and Second Indochina Wars

General Motors

definitely Alexander the Great.

He conquered a huge empire in only 12 years with an army never much larger than 40,000 men.

Alexander never lost a battle. Whether besieging fortified island city states, fighting Greek hoplite phalanxes, Persian armoured cavalry and scythed chariots, horse archer armies defending a river line, European or Asian tribesmen in their home mountains, or war elephants in the jungles of India, Alexander always came up with the right strategy to win the campaign, the right tactics to win the battle.

• General Knowledge..

General Protection Fault. Invented by Microsoft in the 80s...........

Seriously - nearly every General had thousands of innocent lives which made him a famous General so I wouldn't like to choose one.

• tuffy

In the western world the greatest general would have to be Napoleon. In terms of tactics and battle plans he was the best. His megalomania caused him to make some mistakes that destroyed the very force that he created. He is also seen as developing the most competent commanders to ever take to the battle-field.