Grainy images and nikon d80?

I use a nikon d80 and for some time now all my images have been super grainy. it doesnt matter what i do with my ISO. so NO it is not set to any number above 800.. that was the first thing i checked. its really bugging me does anyone have any suggestions?

could it be something to do with my lens? the lens it seems to do it on is my kit lens, the nikon 18-135 mm...

please help!

Favorite Answer

The D80 can give grainy results in shadow areas even at ISO 200 in bright light if you look in detail at the images pixel by pixel. I have a D200 that gives this same result. You should not see significant graininess in normal ISO 200 images in lighter, uniform areas of the image like the sky or a light-colored blank wall.

It's also possible that you are shooting at higher ISO if you have Auto ISO turned on, even if your normal ISO setting is 200. You need to use the menus to turn off Auto ISO, or set it so the highest ISO it chooses on Auto ISO is 400. If you're using Aperture mode with a small aperture or Shutter mode with a fast shutter speed, you could wind up with a high ISO setting from Auto ISO when you don't expect it.

If you check the Shooting Data in Picture Project when you import, or the File Info in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, it should give you the actual ISO the camera was using when it took the picture, and tell you the aperture and shutter speed.

Underexposure is another potential reason for noise in the image. If your images look dark, that's a sign that underexposure is an issue, and you can use the exposure +/- control to adjust it.

Other sources of things that might look like grain are JPEG image artifacts if you are using Normal or Basic JPEG settings. These artifacts will show up most prominently as a scattering of darker pixels around dark objects with relatively uniform light backgrounds, but should not extend far into uniformly bright areas of the image.

If your "grain" is circular spots slightly darker than the background that are larger than a few pixels and show up on all the pictures in the same place, you could have dust on your sensor, which requires cleaning with a blower or special sensor cleaning kit with the shutter open.

If none of these things turn out to be the source, it's possible that something has gone wrong with the processor board, sensor or sensor amplifiers, though I would consider this unlikely. Those would require a processor board or sensor replacement, which may not be worth the cost considering the cost of replacing your camera.

• blunk

Nikon D80 Images

It could well be that you need to enhance your shooting skills. Lack of sharpness can be caused by two things really. 1) camera or subject movement which can be solved by raising the shutter speed and 2) using the wrong focusing point when using auto-focus. Look on page 30 and 31 in your users manual to refine your focusing skills. "Grainy" (actually noisy) images can only be caused by using high ISO's. Shooting using 100, 200 or 400 ISO's should show very little if any noise. Make sure you do not have your camera set with the "auto ISO" turned on (page 88) The sharpest images are produced with the aperture stopped down two stops from wide open