Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

This Book about a little Japnese girl about 8-12 years old?

I read a book bout 5 or 6 years ago I forgot the name. It's something about a girl who has cancer after WW2 and she's from Japan. I wanna say it starts with a S(the name of the book). Ummm she in the hospital and she tries to make 100(I think it was 100 or 200 or 150) paper birds. I was wantin to know what it was.

Best Answer

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elenor Coerr

"Hiroshima-born Sadako is lively and athletic--the star of her school's running team. And then the dizzy spells start. Soon gravely ill with leukemia, the "atom bomb disease," Sadako faces her future with spirit and bravery. Recalling a Japanese legend, Sadako sets to work folding paper cranes. For the legend holds that if a sick person folds one thousand cranes, the gods will grant her wish and make her healthy again. Based on a true story, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes celebrates the extraordinary courage that made one young woman a heroine in Japan."

She also has a second book about a little girl affected by the atom bombs, Mieko and the Fifth Treasure.

When the bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, Mieko''s nearby village was turned into ruins, and her hand was badly injured. Mieko loves to do calligraphy more than anything, but now she can barely hold a paintbrush. And she feels as if she has lost something that she can''t paint without-the legendary fifth treasure, beauty in the heart. Then she is sent to live with her grandparents and must go to a new school. But Mieko is brave and eventually learns that time and patience can help with many things, and may even help her find the fifth treasure.

.

Source(s): I've read both books and even had the honour of visiting Hiroshima and Sadako Sasaki's monument to peace. Descriptions provided by Chapters.ca

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

oh, the paper swans! just look up the paper swans book! she needed to make 1000 birds for her wish to come true but she died before she could make them all so her friends and family finished them for her.