Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

was my grandfather a swiss guard?

His name was Nicola Iocca.

Favorite Answer

His name has little to so with if he was a member of the Swiss Guard. You might try contacting the Swiss Embassy and asking who you need to contact to determine if he was a member.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 35+ years

The closest I could find to your grandfather's name was that of Nicola IaCOcca, the father of Ford/Chrysler chairman, Lee Iacocca. Was listed on Google, so no help there.

http://www.ancestry.com --Social Security Death Index shows this man who evidently worked for the US Consulate in Brazil:

Name: Nicola Iocca

SSN: 153-38-3518

Last Residence: 756 (U.S. Consulate) Sao Paulo

Born: 4 Feb 1924

Died: 9 Jul 2006

State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (1963-1964)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard#Commander...

"Swiss Guards is the name given to the Swiss soldiers who serve as bodyguards, ceremonial guards, and palace guards at foreign European courts since the late 15th century. In contemporary usage, it refers to the Pontifical Swiss Guard of Vatican City. The Papal Swiss Guard in the Vatican was founded in 1506 and is the only Swiss Guard that still exists.

The Hundred Swiss were created in 1480 when Louis XI retained a Swiss company for his personal guard. Their main role was the protection of the King within the palace as the Louvre indoor guard.

In 1616, King Louis XIII gave a regiment of Swiss infantry the name of Gardes suisses (Swiss Guards). The new regiment had the primary role of protecting the doors, gates and outer perimeters of the various royal palaces. This unit was officially a regiment of the line, but it was generally regarded as part of the King's Military Household.

The Corps of the Pontifical Swiss Guard or Swiss Guard is something of an exception to the Swiss rulings of 1874 and 1927. It is a small force maintained by the Holy See and is responsible for the safety of the Pope, including the security of the Apostolic Palace. It serves as the de facto military of Vatican City.

Recruitment and service:

1. Recruits to the guards must be Catholic, single males with SWISS citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct.

2. Recruits must have a professional degree or high school diploma and must be between 19 and 30 years of age

3. Height must be 5 ft.7 inches tall minimum.

4. Qualified candidates must apply to serve. If accepted, new guards are sworn on May 6 every year in the San Damaso Courtyard (Italian: Cortile di San Damaso) in the Vatican. (May 6 is the anniversary of the Sack of Rome.)

5. At their swearing-in ceremony, they must take the following vow [English translation]:

" I vow to faithfully, honestly and honorably serve the reigning Pope [name of Pope] and his legitimate successors, and to dedicate myself to them with all my strength, ready to sacrifice, should it become necessary, even my own life for them. I likewise assume this promise toward the members of the Sacred College of Cardinals during the period of the Sede Vacante of the Apostolic See. Furthermore, I pledge to the Commandant and to my other superiors respect, fidelity, and obedience. I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant to the dignity of my rank."

6. When his name is called, each new guard approaches the Swiss Guard's flag, grasping the banner in his left hand. He raises his right hand with his thumb, index, and middle finger extended along three axes, a gesture that symbolizes the Holy Trinity, and speaks: "I, [name of the new guard], swear diligently and faithfully to abide by all that has just been read out to me, so grant me God and so help me his Saints."

The term of service is between 2 and 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guardiasuiza2.gi...

Picture of the uniform of a Swiss Guard in his ceremonial uniform. The regular duty uniform is more functional, consisting of a simpler solid blue version of the more colorful tri-color grand gala uniform, worn with a simple brown belt, a flat white collar and a black beret. For new recruits and rifle practice, a simple light blue overall with a brown belt may be worn. During cold or inclement weather, a dark blue cape is worn over the regular uniform. The uniform weighs 8 pounds and may be the heaviest uniform in use by any standing army today. The Renaissance style makes them one of the most complicated to construct. A single uniform requires 154 pieces and takes nearly 32 hours and 3 fittings to complete.

Google is your friend

idk ask him