Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Don't know what to believe in (religion question) I'd like some advice?

When I was little my mother would always make sure I'd pray before bed and well a lot of other things, my family isn't much of going to church on Sundays, so I'm not saying that I was raised with such routines.

I honestly feel "lost" though.

Here's my personal belief:

It may sound stupid but honestly this is what I feel:

I think and believe that somehow there is something bigger than me and than all of us, I call it the universe itself. When asked if I believe in "God" that would be my answer, I believe in a higher presence, that I may not be able to physically see but yet I know that energy is real.

My trouble comes in when I see, hear, and pay attention to the way others see "god", I feel bad when I seem to act like I don't care about Jesus Christ, and I think that perhaps I have just been "unaware" of the "facts" that lead people to believing in him as "god" or as the son of such.

And then there's people who believe in other figures and not in Jesus, how do I know what to believe in? I already believe in that higher force I refer to as "the universe", but what if I'm wrong? But I feel like I may be wrong, because looking around my family sees Jesus as "god" and I'm the complete opposite...

I also don't read the bible, but then again I feel like I shouldn't believe in that either, I see religion as something people use and believe in only to stray away from the "bad" actions, it's about morality and each religion has their own sets of rules and beliefs based on the morality they want to believe in.

I don't mean to be disrespectful on the contrary I want some opinions, I believe in the Universe but at times I feel bad when others tell me that I should never doubt of Jesus...etc.

Do you think I'm committing a mistake? Are my beliefs wrong? How do you see Jesus as?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Why don't you think about ISLAM ?

Here are the opinions of some thinkers about Islam :

Professor Keith Moore, one of the world’s prominent scientists of anatomy and embryology. University of Toronto, Canada It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur’aan about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from God, or 'Allah', because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of Allah.

Professor William W. Hay is one of the best known marine scientists in the United States. satellite photography and emote-sensing techniques. Professor Hay replied: I find it very interesting that this sort of information is in the ancient ******ure of the Holy Qur’aan, and I have no way of knowing where they would come from, but I think it is extremely interesting that they are there and that this work is going on to discover it, the meaning of some of the passages. Professor Hay: Well, I would think it must be the divine being!

Professor Yushudi Kusan: Director of the Tokyo Observatory, I

can say, I am very mush impressed by finding true astronomical facts in the Qur’aan.

Professor Alfred Kroner who is one of the world’s most famous geologists "Thinking about many of these questions and thinking where Muhammad came from, he was after all a bedouin. I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years with very complicated and advanced technological methods that this is the case.

Dr. T.V.N. Persaud is a Professor of Anatomy and Head of the Department of Anatomy, and a professor of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. He is the author or editor of 25 books, and has published over 181 scientific papers. In 1991, he received the most distinguished award presented in the field of anatomy in Canada. "It seems to me that Muhammad was a very ordinary man. He could not read or write. In fact, he was illiterate. We are talking about 1400 years ago. You have someone who was illiterate making profound pronouncement and statements and are amazingly accurate about scientific nature. I personally cannot see how this could be mere chance. There are too many accuracy’s and, like Dr. Moore, I have no difficulty in my mind in concerning that this is a divine inspiration or revelation which led him to these statements."

Joe Leigh Simpson , Professor of Obstetrics and Gyne ogy at the North Western University in Chicagoin the United States of America. Professor Simpson said: It follows, I think, that not only is there no conflict between genetics and religion, but in fact religion can guide science by adding revelation to some traditional scientific approaches. That there exists statements in the Qur’aan shown by science to be valid, which supports knowledge in the Qur’aan having been derived from Allah.

--------------------------------------…

Professor Palmer a scientist from the U.S. We need research into the history of early Middle Eastern oral traditions to know whether in fact such historical events have been reported. If there is no such record, it strengthens the belief that Allah transmitted through Muhammad bits of his knowledge that we have only discovered for ourselves in recent times. We look forward to a continuing dialogue on the topic of science in the Qur’aan in the context of geology. Thank you very much.

--------------------------------------…

Professor Tagata Tagasone, formerly Head of the Department of Anatomy and Embryology at the University of Shiang Mai in Thailand . He is now the Dean of the College of the Medicine at the University. From my studies and from what I have learned throughout this conference, I believe that everything that has been recorded in the Qur’aan 1400 years ago must be the truth, that can be proved by the scientific means. Since the Prophet Muhammad could neither read nor write, Muhammad must be a messenger who relayed this truth which was revealed to him as an enlightenment by the One Who is an eligible Creator. This Creator must be Allah, or Allah. Therefore, I think this is the time to say ‘Laa ilaaha illallah’, that there is no Allah to worship except Allah, ‘Muhammad Rasool Allah’, Muhammad is messenger of Allah...

Professor Armstrong, Scientist works at NASA, I am impressed that how remarkably some of the ancient writings seem to correspond to modern and recent Astronomy. There may well have to be something beyond what we understand as ordinary human experience to account for the writings that we have seen.

--------------------------------------…

Professor Dorja Rao, It is difficult to imagine that this type of knowledge was existing at that time, around 1400 years back. May be some of the things they have simple idea about, but do describe those things in great detail is very difficult. So, this is definitely not a simple human knowledge

Everything made so much sense. This is the beauty of the Qur'an; it asks you to reflect and reason....When I read the Qur'an further, it talked about prayer, kindness and charity. I was not a Muslim yet, but I felt the only answer for me was the Qur'an and God had sent it to me." Cat Stevens (YusufIslam), former British pop star.

The essential and definite element of my conversion to Islam was the Qur'an. I began to study it before my conversion with the critical spirit of a Western intellectual .... There are certain verses of this book, the Qur'an, revealed more than thirteen centuries ago, which teach exactly the same notions as the most modern scientific researches do. This definitely converted me." Ali Selman Benoist, France, Doctor of Medicine.

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..." HILLARY RODMAN CLINTON, Los Angeles Times, May 31, 1996, p.3

--------------------------------------…

Already more than a billion-people strong, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion. ABCNEWS, Abcnews.com

Muhammed is the most successful of all Prophets and religious personalities. " Encyclopedia Britannica

just go to youtube and type "Quran Scientific miracles " you will find a lot

You might enjoy this totally free booklet: "Jesus Christ: The Real Story" from www.ucg.org. They won't ask you for anything ever!

What you're seeking is the TRUTH. Truth should make sense, it should 'fit' with other Truths, it should be provable. There cannot be many different True laws for morality. How could something work for one person and not for another? You need to seek morality laws that work for everyone!

And just 'believing' in Christ is nothing. The demons believe! One can only believe in Him if they understand His teachiings and the way of Love that He lived. Few really do.

My own experience is that God's laws WORK. Wherever you see suffering, pain, grief, death, I know that, for the most part, it is the result of breaking God's laws. My own regrets and heartaches have mostly come from disobeying those laws.

You're certainly right that religion has been used to manipulate by fear or promise of reward. ANY religion that must resort to those tactics cannot have much real Truth because Truth will set you free! I suggest you read the Bible for yourself and don't take anyone's word for what is in there. You owe it to yourself to read it at least once since it is purported to be the very Word of God. You won't understand everything but it's a great read! (Get yourself a New King James verson, which is probably the most accurately translated and doesn't have the difficult 'thee's and thou's).

If you don't find Truth within the Bible, then at least you will know you tried. There is historical evidence that Christ lived and was crucified even though His only 'sin' was His religious teachings. You might be surprised at how beautifully all that He taught fits in the Universe!

Source(s): "Jesus Christ: The Real Story" FREE from www.ucg.org.

Hi Scarlett!

It is interesting. I have the same feelings about all this religion thing. I do not think you are wrong.

Think about it, there are so many religions in the world, and if you ask any of them they will say that their religion is true and others are wrong. It does not make sense.

What is important is how you see "GOD". My personal opinion is that "GOD" has nothing to do with religion and churches and priest's. Like you say it is "Universe".

But, to answer your questions:

1. No I do not think you are committing a mistake

2. No I do not think your beliefs are wrong

3. I do not know if Jesus existed, but if he did he was a good man. If everybody would follow his teachings and live their lives like he was preaching, this world would be much better place.

And also I would suggest to read at least the New Testimony. It is interesting book.

I hope it answered at least part of your questions.

Good Luck

• Alaba

It is like the wind you don't see it but you know is there, is a shame that many people claim to be Christians but by their acts deny the veracity of Jesus and his teachings , that's why you can't set your eyes on man , some truly seek the Lord and some just use religion as an excuse to cover their true life and then Christianity pays the fault of some people that with their mouth confess God but with their actions said otherwise , their hearts are really far away from God, they appear to be Lambs but are wolfs dress as lambs , to deceive people in to doctrines of man and to persuade then to sustain their personal ambitions, getting rich a Spence's of the ones in need that doesn't read the bible , they are so sleek that use the bible itself to full others , so the only way to know who those are is to study the Bible , than you can tell , what is the truth , be able to identify who talks the truth, and what religion follows the Truth.

I do not think your committing a mistake nor do I think your beliefs are wrong. It really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks about your beliefs. They are yours and yours alone. I would take some time to contemplate and figure out what YOUR beliefs are. There is no right or wrong in my opinion, because in reality, none of us really know what's real or what we should believe. There are too many religions and too many beliefs. How do we know which one is right? Many people will try to tell you that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Believe whatever gives you peace.

Here's the way I see things: the Bible is the true Word of God. We know it was written by many different people, and why would so many people feel compelled to lie to us? The people of that time were all very religious, and all parts of the Bible give us ways to worship God. Why would anyone make up a God to worship, and on top of that why would so many people do it? There's no reason for why someone would make up the Bible, common sense tells us that. And since the Bible tells us that Jesus, the Savior, came to Earth to endure the punishment that was meant for us, it must be true! There's a lot of reference in the Bible to God Himself too. I think you should look into reading the Bible, God gave us all the answers we could possibly want on the subject, people just don't bother to learn the answers by reading the Bible. I hope I helped! =)

Jesus was a teacher, if in fact he even existed...or he might just be another creation of the "hero myth" used to inspire people.

But if you wish to admire Jesus in the way you admire MLK or Gandhi well fine.

As for the higher power business, that sounds a bit like AA, but, absent of dogma, might be harmless enough and might do you some good rightnow.

The truth:

Jesus is NOT God

Jesus is NOT the son of God

Jesus IS one of the many prophets of God, meaning he was sent down to warn and convey a message to us.

There is only one God, how can He be a human like the rest of us? Doesn't make sense.

There is also only one religion that makes sense (spiritually and scientifically), and that is Islam.

Try and show me one flaw in Islam, you wouldn't be able to. That's how you know it's the true religion ;)

bible and Jesus is not an option for you to believe in. it was written a hundreds of years after Jesus died. It has been changed overtime to suit the people which the bibles are being targeted to.

You should study up on Deism. I know I am bias for I am a deist, but most people will want you to believe what they do, but from what I read, your beliefs are a bit deistic