With the newest laws, can I claim my fiancé’s daughter (& my disabled sister) on my taxes? Plz read on?

I’ve heard conflicting opinions, so I was hoping someone here could help. My boyfriend & his daughter (8 years old) lived with for all of 2009. I supported them. He only worked about 1 month last year & asked me to claim his daughter. Her mother is not in her life (she has no rights to her, plus she was in jail the entire year of 2009). There is no one else that can claim her.

I’ve heard that due to new laws, that I could file “single” as claim my fiancé’s daughter as a “qualifying relative”, since she is blood related & not yet legally, related to me. I’ve been claiming my 48 year old sister (who is permanently & totally disabled) for several years now (she did not work at all last year & no one else can claim her). So could I file as “single” & claim them both as “qualifying relative”? If so, why does that work under “single” & not “head of household”?

Would this allow me to claim the “child tax credit” on my fiancé’s daughter & “Earned Income Credit” on both of them? Any other tips with this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

You couldn't claim them as a relative....and highly unlikely that you could claim as a dependent. Whether he worked or not he can still file his taxes, claim head of household and his daughter regardless of how much income he did or didn't make.

You and he need to consult a tax adviser.

i love Eva, it is so cute yet at the same time very sophisticated and a lengthy time period truly nicely. i love it a lot extra suited than the shorter Eve. It has ability for an prolonged, extra confusing middle call, yet in spite of this i wager all of them do. i don't love Nora, or maybe although Tessa is lovable, i imagine Cora is even nicer and and so cute! Now that i imagine about it, i for my area want Cora... haha i visit ascertain why it is hard! So i wager i pick Elliot, Theo, Leon, Jonas and CORA, yet Eva comes very heavily in the back of. Cora is great underused and that i love the 'middle' sound (a lot extra suited than Cara), it is going excellent with the 'o' in all of your boys' names. about time for a lady! wish this permits, sturdy success!!

• HD

don't listen to anyone here, you need a tax professional.