Thinking about a Bike, What do you think?

Ok here is the situation: I will be moving in the next couple months and currently own an Audi A4 that is getting pretty old and expensive to repair. The commute to work will go from 2 miles round trip to 40 miles. Because of this sudden jump in mileage I figure a motorcycle would be financially smart in the... show more Ok here is the situation:

I will be moving in the next couple months and currently own an Audi A4 that is getting pretty old and expensive to repair. The commute to work will go from 2 miles round trip to 40 miles.

Because of this sudden jump in mileage I figure a motorcycle would be financially smart in the long run. I have never owned one, have had little and far spread experience riding one, and worry that despite how careful I am some crazy driver will plow into me somewhere along the way and I will regret the whole thing(my mom has always told me horror stories about her brothers and their bikes).

My commute takes place at 3:30am and I return by noon. The freeway I would take is never heavily congested even on a sunny weekend(if you want to check out the road its highway 101 in between San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria in California)

For those of you experienced riders, what do you think about this riding situation. Should I not worry too much?