What is the best biography you've ever read (and why)?

I'm looking for a good and inspirational non-fiction read, preferably biography or travel-writing. My favorite so far is "Three Cups of Tea", but I'm hungry for more. Feel free to list down more than one title. Thanks!

• Gerry
    Favorite Answer

Andrea,

good question. My favorite thus far has been one I read last summer entitled:

"I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" an autobiography of General James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle (co-authored by C.V. Glines). The book was published in 1992 the year before the good General's death.

The book begins on the famed "Doolittle Raid" over Tokyo in April of 1942; however, you get a very in depth look at the VERY humble and poor beginnings of this man's life from early childhood through teenage years, college years, military service, and his civilian career in aeronautical engineering prior to WW II. Within the pages are an entwined look at a personal life, marriage, children, travels, and tribulations along the way. It is definitely an inspiring story that shows no matter where one comes from that he or she can pursue their dreams and personal goals and make good and sometimes not so good decisions along the way.

The touching part in this book for me was his early childhood years and how he would meet his wife, and even further how they ran off to get married. General Doolittle would also be in the circles of Prime Minister Winston Churchill and General (later President) Eisenhower as he would lead the famed Eighth U.S. Army Air Force in Europe that covered the time frame of January 1944 to VE Day in Europe (he would then transfer the 8th USAAF to the Pacific, but the war would end there and he would be aboard the USS Missouri for the formal surrender of Japan along the side of General Douglas MacArthur, et al). Not too shabby if you ask me for a kid that was raised by his Mother; and, with no Father around he simply was a kid who lacked a Dad in his formidable years. His contributions to aeronautical engineering and science was immeasurable; and his "Raid on Tokyo" is what he is most notably remembered upon.

I sense this may be a little out of the normal genre for your current reading list; but, if you ever decide to "explore" a bit then this would be a good educational read. I recommend the hard cover as the photographs within are simply amazing.

All the best ~ and I can't wait to see what you decide!

Gerry D.

The 2 part biography on Elvis Presley by Peter Gurnalick is essential reading for any music fan. The first part,'Last Train To Memphis' follows the life and career of Elvis up until he joined the army.But it's the second part that i love more. 'Careless Love', picks up where the first one left ended,with Elvis just about to leave the army and having met a 14yr old girl by the name of Priscilla Beaulieu. It then charts the sad and tragic decline of his life,ending with his untimely death in 1977.Although the author was/is a massive Elvis fan,this is by no means a glowing tribute and fawning book. Instead, it's a honest and frank account of a waste of a talent and life

Andrea

I don't know whether you like my taste or not,but i always enjoyed reading two biographies 1--A Million Little Pieces it's a memoir by James Frey. It tells the story of a 23-year-old alcoholic and drug abuser and how he copes with rehabilitation.

2 Junky--- autobiographical novel by William S. Burroughs. on the lifestyle of heroin addicts in the early 1950s.

Thanks.

• ALEX

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

If you want inspiring this is it. I'm not one who's easily swayed, but after reading this all I wanted to do was go out and live life. I appreciated my friends, family and just everything more.

Best biography I've read is Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, although it was probably more depressing than inspiring.

Best Biography, I have ever read, would be

Life and Crimes by Agatha Christie

It is a very interesting book for those poeple who like who dun its.

From Jo Farriss/INXS;Showtime

My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong...no words to define...just read if u havent