Nicole asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

which one is closer to the wolf, the german shepherd or the husky.?

Favorite Answer

[debbie] has much to learn about my breed. (And about taking notice of a spell-checker!!)

[Amber]:

It doesn't MATTER!

The unwanted wolf-characteristics have long ago been "selected out" of both breeds.

What matters is how suitable a particular GSD is for its tasks, how suitable a particular Husky is for its tasks.

And http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSDHavenFamily indicates that GSDs are better at a Husky's task than Huskies are likely to be at a GSD's tasks!

Some history:

133,000± BC Based on DNA research, this appears to be when the dog-line and the wolf-line separated. But the date may be brought closer as the technique is improved.

550± AD A domestic dog was buried in Bonn-Oberkassel, Germany. The well-preserved lower jaw & teeth suggest a small sheep dog. These 14,500 years old burial remains are the earliest evidence of a domesticated dog. But dog-like remains 31,000 years old were found in Belgium, and 15,000 years old in western Russia. The earliest evidence for cat domestication is only around 8,000-9,500 years ago.

1882 German Sheepdogs are first shown, at Hanover Show. Prior to WW1 the few German Sheepdogs exhibited in Britain go into classes for "Foreign Dogs"

1899 The Verein für deutsche Schäferhund (SV) is formed on 22 April with Max von Stephanitz as president and Artur Meyer as secretary, attracting 60 members that year (reaching 50,000 in 1923, around 100,000 in 1999); it takes responsibility for breed registration and breed direction. Basically, the breed is developed from working stock of 3 "types" found then in the regions of Thuringia, Frankonia and Württemberg. The first GSD registered (SZ 1) is Horand von Grafrath, a Thuringian dog originally named Hektor Linksrhein; his parents later receive registrations SZ 153 & 156.

• There was at least one zoo wolf used in the Thuringian stock before that - zoo wolf, because by then wolves were effectively extinct in Germany. But wolf attitudes & size are NOT suitable for herding work.

• Husky bitches are also supposed to have been mated by wolves from time to time, but the SH is not my breed and I have no idea as to when the last infusion of wolf-genes was. Again - although wolf strength is desirable for sled work, wolf attitudes are NOT suitable.

I'm under the impression that the breed with the most wolf-genes nowadays is one of the very small breeds (is it the Pomeranian?) - but as I said: It doesn't MATTER!

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967

A wolf is VERY different from either a GSD or "husky" (which actually covers a number of breeds). Do some research.

So your answer is NEITHER.

Just because huskies have some of the same physical look of the wolves to most people, they are VERY different in temperament than a wolf and in no way are they a "wild dog".

Source(s): 40 years of owning Siberians, 30 years of owning Akitas. My Chihuahua was the only dog that ever bit a person (yup, the mailman .... with good cause as the mailman teased him daily).

It's actually the German Shepherd. The breed is newer and is believed to have originally been bred from wolves.

Husky breeds such as the Siberian and Malamute are ancient breeds, and while their appearance have stayed truer to the wolf, they are actually less related to them, according to their DNA at least.

I would say a Husky. I have been around both dogs so long, that I can tell the difference between the two.

Best Regards,

Chuck

it really depends how you mean. but here is an interesting tid bit the GSD started out as wolfdogs the breed was adopted worldwide only 100 years ago. if you dont believe me read this. after you read it think of these simularitues. the shape is simular (more thew back part) , they tend to be a one family dog that dosent like strangers, just to name a few. i believe it was the cross with a herding breed that gives the GDS it agreesiveness not the wolf. i hope atleast a few will read it.

my wolfdogs are mixed with malamute and i have no trouble from them at all. i dont really like high husky content in wolfdogs. I also breed low contents and i really think its funny how many people hate them and have no clue about them.

http://www.asuperiorgsd.com/wolf-dog.html

check it out

• Julia

All dogs (huskies and GSD's alike) were domesticated approximately 10,000 years ago... so they are equally "close" to a wolf.

In appearance and behavior huskies are probably more similar, but they're related the same amount.

The husky

• Jan C

Actually the malamation is more like the wolf and just as dangerous and some people have them as pets. Of the two you mentioned, I think the husky is closer.