I love my Nikon asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

What is good dog food for sensitive stomaches??

what kind of dog food is good for dogs w/ sensitive stomaches?

• Kimmie
    Best Answer

I like either Nutram Sensitive Stomach or Natural Balance Duck and Potato.

Choose a food with very few ingredients and feed smaller more frequent meals.

Eliminate ALL treats, bones, chews, biscuits etc for a while until you can determine what's bothering the dog's digestive system.

• Onika

My black lab has a really sensitive system also. The only foods she seems to be able to tolerate are California Natural and Purina One-without getting extremely gassy, diarrhea, and dry heaves. California natural is an excellent food. We've been feeding it for many years-but it's expensive. We also had a dog with food allergies that did excellently on it. Call around because a lot of pet stores have a frequent buyer program (like buy 9 bags get the 10th free) and at nearly $40 a bag, that will save you! As an alternative, you might also look into BARF diets. (It's not puke-it's Bones And Natural Foods) where you give the dog meat bones to eat and natural foods. You can make it yourself or buy it premade. (the premade is also expensive). If you have the time to make it, it could be a good thing. (You can make it in bulk and then freeze it, too, btw) I have 3 dogs and we tried BARF with them. The one with the sensitive stomach did well after the adjustment period (for the first week or so they could get loose stools due to the difference between the natural and the processed)-but we discontinued the BARF since the dogs were getting greedy and posessive about their raw bones where they'd want to fight. If you only have one dog, this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

• Look into using fish oil on a daily bases. I took my 6 lb poodle to the vet, she was chewing on her feet every once in a while and maybe 5 or 6 times a month she would out of the blue throw up a little. Vet said she had food allergies and to use 500 mg of fish oil gel caps. I could only find 1000 mg so I poke a hole at one end and squeeze 10 drops (that's half) into the palm of my hand and she licks it up like it's a treat. Ever sense then I have had no problems with her stomach issues or itchy feet. Hope this helps someone if not you.

• blah

a natural or holistic preferably both. You can get the sensitive formula too.

well i would get some dog food thats in a can it should be easier for them to digest the food

Ground meat (browned in a skillet) and cooked rice.

natural balance lamb and rice is very good