Blue
Lv 4
Blue asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 years ago

What is the Russian variation of the surname Clement?

I know, the name looks English or French but that's how my grandfather spelled it and he was Russian. He said it originally started with a "K" but not sure of the rest of the spelling. Is anyone out there familiar with a Russian surname like this that's very similar? I need to know for my genealogy but I'm very stuck!

Thanks

Update:

Thanks Robert J,

That's funny- my father's name is Robert J. Clement :)

Update 2:

What was your source? I'd love to look at it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Clement Name Meaning and History

English, French, and Dutch: from the Latin personal name Clemens meaning ‘merciful’ (genitive Clementis). This achieved popularity firstly through having been borne by an early saint who was a disciple of St. Paul, and later because it was selected as a symbolic name by a number of early popes. There has also been some confusion with the personal name Clemence (Latin Clementia, meaning ‘mercy’, an abstract noun derived from the adjective; in part a masculine name from Latin Clementius, a later derivative of Clemens). As an American family name, Clement has absorbed cognates in other continental European languages. (For forms, see Hanks and Hodges 1988.)

http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Clement-family-histo...

S urname: Clement

This interesting surname, with over one hundred differing spellings ranging from Clemens, Clemons and Climance, to Clemitt, Klima, Klimkiewicz and Miettinen, derives from the Roman (Latin) "Clemens" meaning "merciful". An early saint who was a disciple of St. Paul bore the name, and it was selected by a number of early popes, no less than eleven Clements having been elected by the year 1046. Although predominently a male name, there is little doubt that many name holders do originate from the female "Clementia" meaning mercy. Surnames from female names or specifically female landowners of the medieval period, are quite popular, and include forms of Mary, Joan, and Elizabeth. With this surname the earliest surviving records are in England, the first country in the world to adopt hereditary surnames. Examples include Clemens Monachus, Clememt the monk, in the 1152 register of St. Benet's abbey, at Holme, in the county of Norfolk, and Richard Clement, a Knight Templar, of Oxford in 1153. Other recordings include Richard Clemmence in the Hundred Rolls of the county of Huntingdonshire, and Robert Clymant in Sussex in 1327, whilst in Germany Leonard Klement was recorded in the charters of the city of Ulm in the year 1482. The first recorded spelling of the family name anywhere is believed to be that of William Clement, which was dated 1150, in the Knight Templar register of Oxfordshire, during the reign of King Henry 11nd of England. He was known as "The church builder", and reigned from 1154 to 1189. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling. http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Clement

The name derives from the Roman (Latin) “Clemens” meaning “merciful”. And, whether you spell it “Clement” or “Klement” the surname has over one hundred differing spellings like Clemens, Clement, Clements, Clemons, Climance, Clemitt, Clymant, Klement, Klemens, Klima, Klimkiewicz and Miettinen just to name a few.

Source(s): Sources in text of answer.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

The Russian form of the given name Clement is Kliment. (Russian is written in the Cyrillic alphabet of course, but a "K" sound in Russian is usually transliterated into English as a K.)

Surnames adopted by sons of men called Kliment include Klimov, Klimtsov and Klimushin.

• 10 years ago

Found in US immigraton records... from Russia

Klementawicz

Klemens

Clemens

Clements

Clementz

Clemensky

Clementnarsky

Robert

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.