? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

Can an employer suddenly enforce a new rule stating that you HAVE to permanently color your hair?

I work in a hair salon , and have a lot of gray hair which is complemented all the time. My customers don't mind it a bit and it doesn't hinder my ability to "sell" colors to clients. Apparently after 2 1/2 years of employment it suddenly offends my boss though. Is there some discrimination law for this situation??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • MSAD
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

I think people complementing yours is the problem.

Graying women are a major clientele for hair coloring - one of the more expensive services your salon probably offers. The boss does not want a woman going gray to see how great yours looks and decide that she does not need to color her hair at all.

So, yes...your hair looks good...and that's the problem. If your gray hair looked like cr@p, then the boss could use your rotten appearance to sell a color to a client.

• Zach
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

If you live in the United States you live in an at-will state, which means they can practically enforce any rule they wish to enforce. Without a labor union or a contract, they can make any rules they want at any time as long as they inform their employees of this change. You can be written up or fired for any reason including no reason. If your employer makes this rule, it is completely within their right to do so.

For those claiming age discrimination. Age discrimination refers to the age of the person, not the person's appearance. Hair color would not be considered age discrimination.

• 10 years ago

Discrimination applies to selected 'classes' of people, having gray hair is not a protected class, so there is no discrimination.

Age discrimination only applies to those over 40, since gray hair can be had at much younger ages, there is no way you will be able to prove age discrimination.

• Jan
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Dye it fluorescent purple,maybe they would prefer that.

Sounds petty,but they can probably require it as part of their "dress code".

I earned every gray hair on my head. If I were going into the salon,I would chose you as my stylist because you would appear to me to have more experience.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

You might want to look into age discrimination. The employer can institute any reasonable rule he wants to since he's the employer. You could check with your local Labor Relations Board.

• Rachel
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Well there probably is a law or something, but you are a stylist, having gray hair isn't going to do so well in the long shot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.