ivanna
ivanna asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 10 years ago

why did people used to think ricky martin was gay before he actually came out?

Favorite Answer

Back in the Latin Pop Explosion of 1999, it was brought up because he wasn't seen with a lot of women in his private life with paparazzi photos. There was a lot of confusion as to why he's wasn't seen with at least ONE hot woman in the height of his stardom.

Furthermore, his image looked far more "glossy" than other Latin men (i.e. Enrique Iglesias, Marc Anthony) at that time, look at his "Livin' La Vida Loca" music video compared to Enrique's "Bailamos".

But what PRIMARILY fueled the fire was that in numerous interviews he constantly didn't answer about his sexuality when interviewers casually asked him. This consistent evasive answering only increased suspicion. One of the most cruical moments was when Barbera Walters in 2000, was pressing for an answer when she said that all he could do is give a denial and all the questioning would stop from the media. But Ricky Martin still refused to answer. He could of denied those gay rumors right then and there but he didn't!

After that interview, it became a REALLY strong sign that he was probably a closeted homosexual or at the least bisexual. And that's how why people aren't really surprised he came out.

Source(s): See a YouTube interview of Barbra Walters with Ricky Martin, move the timer to 0:32: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsGiNHbAiY
  • Erika

Ricky Martin Is Gay

Remember seeing Ricky on tv when when was just teen boy singing. Seeing him grow up and mature in to successful latin singer. The looks the body and sex appeal got my gaydar to go off and like many knew he was gay. Like many others it took time to come out of the closet.

Ricky Martin's boyfriend told me he's straight. I was completely shocked.

Source(s): Putting the meat in the Menudo

i think it was he had so many women in his videos and was like a sex god to women or something. I think it made him look like he was trying to hide something.

It was the same with Ne-Yo, even though it turns out its not true so far. He has lots of sexy women in his videos and their was a rumour going around then that he was gay too,

He was seen vacationing with a guy a few times. Most of the time they were at a beach. Sun bathing of just drinking.

Why would anyone NOT think he was gay? That is the question.

• Sara A

Maybe because he had his sons via a surrogate!

• Pip

It was just obvious - I can't put my finger on why, I just never thought otherwise.

When you are you are - hard to hide