Question to Mormons: Why did Joseph Smith marry already married women beside his first wife Emma?

I came on this question because I bumped with my search to my manuscript about the founder of the Mormons, Joseph Smith, into different names of women who were already married with another man. The Mormons taught long the polygamy (till 1890), and unmarried women for Smith would have been at least conceivable, but already married women such as

Lucinda Morgan Harris

Zina Huntington Jacobs, or

Presendia Huntington Buell,

let me to question WHY this was happen at that time?

• Favorite Answer

He was horny

"[A] possibility is that, in an era when life spans were shorter than they are today, faithful women felt an urgency to be sealed by priesthood authority. Several of these women were married either to non-Mormons or former Mormons, and more than one of the women later expressed unhappiness in their present marriages."

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirt...

"One wife stated : “I made a greater sacrifice than to give my life,” said Zina Huntington Jacobs, “for I never anticipated again to be looked upon as an honorable woman.” Nevertheless, she wrote, “I searched the scripture & by humble prayer to my Heavenly Father I obtained a testimony for myself.”36 After Joseph’s death, most of the women sealed to him moved to Utah with the Saints, remained faithful Church members, and defended both plural marriage and Joseph.37"

I know if you read the scriptures you'll find accounts of polygamy in the bible, and if you pray you'll know God had required this same practice of Joseph Smith.

Heehehehhehe, the anti-mormon sites say that Emma Smith was so mad, and that even though Joseph Smith told her an angel came with a sword and would kill him if this did not happen, she still did not want him to do this, he was still accused of consimating the marriage even if they were already married, BECAUSE HE COULD!

Phog's answer pretty much sums things up. In addition, LDS doctrines teach that we are all directly related to each other through Adam. The main purpose of sealing and other temple work is to connect and bind all of us together. It's as simple as that. Most of those associated with the Prophet Joseph felt that his election and calling were sure and the sealing was done to bind and connect people to him and to others in a forever eternal link. Not necessarily do all sealings equate to physical sexual relationships, as LDS do sealings for the dead as well.

However, I am quite familiar with your questions and know you are a die hard critic of the church and don't like Mormons to begin with, so I know my answer falls pretty much on deaf ears.

Source(s): LDS

The fact is, we don't know. There are many theories out there about it. The one I 'subscribe' to is that Joseph had many friends, and some of them were especially close to him. One of these, for example, was Brigham Young. Mormons believe that in order to enjoy family relations beyond the grave, we need to be sealed. It is possible, then, that by being Sealed to Brigham Young's wife, Joseph would also be sealed to Brigham Young. It is important to note that sealing does not necessarily mean marriage. Is there proof that Joseph consummated these 'marriages?'

remember, this is my own personal take, and is not the position of the church.

Source(s): mormon

Since you know nothing about LDs theology of the 19th century.

He married already married women so her family and his are sealed for time and eternity.

If the family had a young daughter she would be the proxy for the family.

Phrog is right; a sealing doesn't always equate to a marriage as we think of it. Today we get married for time and eternity; back then some were married just for time, and some were married (sealed) just for eternity. A women could be married to one husband for this life, and another husband for the life to come.

• phrog

sealed to: not necessarily married to, as in the way we think of marriage.......the early church members were very excited to have the opportunity to seal families together, and everyone wanted to be sealed to the prophet and have him in their eternal family.

edit: @julymoon

thanks for making my point so succinctly. as an ex-mo I know that was not your intent, but still.....one should thank another for support given.

@questioner

as julymoon points out - some of these women were sealed to JS even after death.....so obviously not a sexual thing.

after that julymoon just falls into the same old 'based on some 3rd party journal entry......yada yada yada....mormon cult.....polygamy in heaven.....yada yada' rhetoric that can be addressed if one is interested, and has been over and over and over again.

Source(s): imho only

I think Phrog may be right on this. we learn one step at a time, and they just had not fully grasped the concepts involved yet - but they were trying. and DNA research has shown that many of the children/lines previously thought to be JS's kids are proving not to be.......so maybe there were 'marriages in name only' here.

The records of these womens marriages are in the online LDS Family Search database, so there is no question. It is also in LDS records that some of these womens husbands were sent out of the country on missions just before he married them.

Mormons blow it off as just ordinances that we can't understand, but at least this wife swapping it didn't become a trend. Well, except when a top leader died and all his wives were reassigned as happened with Smith and Young.

He also had his first documented affair (with Fanny Alger) a couple of years before he got the 'revelation' about polygamy.

And he married 2 wives twice. Once in secret, once later after his main wife, Emma, decided he could be polygamous. He let her pick the wives and she picked 2 women to whom he was secretly already married. They repeated the ceremony for Emma and she never knew the difference.

Emma hate polygamy and after he died she went around telling people it never happened.

Joseph Smith had at least 33 wives while he was alive. Many more were sealed to him after his death. 11 of these wives were sealed to living men. (Smith was alive also) 13 of the wives testified in court to having sexual relations with Joseph Smith. A third of the wives were ages 14 to 20 years old. (Smith was 36 to 38) He had a few sister DUOS as wives, and a mother daughter duo.

Smith would ask his friends, for their wives and young daughters to take as his wives.

*Smith stated that this idea was brought back to Earth from the Lord himself, and that Joseph was justified.

As a former member I had no clue about the extent of Joseph Smith polygamy, bigamy, and polyandry. THE focus is always on Emma Smith, (his first wife) and the totally "committed" love they had.

That is a misrepresentation for sure. Emma was lied to at first about the other wives, and was very upset when this information came to be known.

*Joseph Smith's personal secretary records that on May 22nd, 1843, Smith's first wife Emma found Joseph and Eliza Partridge secluded in an upstairs bedroom at the Smith home. Emma was devastated.

William Clayton's journal entry for 23 May (see Smith, 105-106)

Quite a few of the other wives were told to keep these marriages a secret (from Smith) for some time.

Mormon.org, LDS.org, and a LDS church ran site Josephsmith.org mentions NO such polygamy. Sure 'some" of the wives names are in the search engine on the site, but NOT as the polygamous wives of Joseph Smith.

FOR The chosen man to "be forced" to bring polygamy back to Earth (from God himself,) don't you think this should be mentioned??

The LDS church believes that polygamy will be in heaven, even for some members today. See...http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/ldsleadersbeli...

ALL this information is sugarcoated, whitewashed, or totally left out of Mormon history.

(unless you know where to look) :)

IT is not taught nor brought up.

I do not think Smith was a man of God at all... The LDS church is a man made church with many personal, selfish choices made from day one.

I have come to 'know" this...

Source(s): ex mormon