Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

When was the only time Jesus did not call god 'father'? (particularly towards the Christians)?

After he was being crucified/right before he died.

My god! My god! Why hast thou forsaken (forgotten) me? (it's in the bible if you think I'm wrong)

Do you know what that means? Jesus renounced god, broke the first commandment. Where is your god NOW?!

http://www.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/4804/Dr-...

(star if you found this interesting please and thank you)

@William I really have no idea where you got that 'psalms' from. And was it written before or after your 'lord' renounced your 'god'?

@Jesus loves us, yes, it does.

@Provider of Escape

Yeah... I'm sure he was thinking about that prophecy as he was suffocating.

and as to your little integrity thingy, why would he need to be tested if he was the son of god? if he was god, why would god need to test himself? is god not infallible? therefore he should not have to test himself.

Stop making up excuses, this little 'prophecy' probably came after he was crucified. He renounced god in pain and agony.

So about this whole prophecy thing... I highly doubt it. In fact it's impossible, and it is probable that this 'prophecy' was written after he was crucified. You really think someone who has had their flesh torn from them (scourging at the pillar) and a crown of thorns jammed into his skull and then crucified is going to be 'worried' about fulfilling some scripture?

Favorite Answer

No. He was quoting from a psalm, that witnesses would know the psalm spoke prophetically of Him, and that related prophecy was about Him.

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? 2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. 3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. 4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. 5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded. 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. 7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. 9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. 10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help. 12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. 16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. 18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. 19 But be not thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste thee to help me. 20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog. 21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. 23 Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. 24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. 25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. 26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. 27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. 28 For the kingdom is the Lord'S: and he is the governor among the nations. 29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. 30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation. 31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Psalms 22:1-31 (KJV)

Sadly, what we have here is another atheist who has found something on the internet that he thinks is clever, and has cut-n-pasted it without understanding it or bothering to research it.

The phrase Jesus spoke is a direct quote of Psalm 22:1-2. That's right. At his death, he's quoting scripture, applying it to himself. This Psalm of David (don't forget David was promised that the Messiah would come from his family) is a "Messianic Psalm" seen as a prediction of the Messiah to come.

Jesus -- just prior to dying, mind you -- still has the presence of mind to quote this Psalm and apply it to himself, one final proclamation that he indeed is the promised Messiah, the Savior of mankind.

Where is your ridicule NOW?

=====

Well, there is no helping the wilfully ignorant.

I see that you've added updated information to your question that includes the wonderful logical arguments, "probably," and "yeah, right."

There is absolutely ZERO question that the Psalms were written around 1000 B.C. These books are part of the Jewish scriptures, and are included in the Dead Sea Scrolls, our oldest extant copies of these Pslams. The Scrolls conclusively date to about 100 B.C., well before the time of Jesus. The gospel accounts were written -- by the most conservative estimates -- beginning as early as 40 A.D. The most liberal, most skeptical scholars date them to between 90 and 150 A.D.

Thus, you're now in the position of having to take the earliest date possible for the gospels that quote Jesus, and this only strengthens the case for Christ! And even doing this doesn't call into question the fact that the prophetic Psalm 22 was written well before the time of Jesus! You lose either way.

There's no substitute for good scholarship. You know, the internet is a wonderful thing. You don't even have to open a book anymore to study and learn these things.

So why don't you give it a try?

• Andy W

If indeed what you are saying is true then Jesus doubted God. Wouldn't that make Him a sinner? And yet the Bible declares "He knew no sin".

If you have noticed, it is a verse from Psalm 18 - "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" (v.1). If you read further down you will find many verses that deal with the death of Jesus (e.g. vs. 8, 16, 18 etc.)

In those days it was customary for the priests to recite the Psalms when offering a sacrifice. Here Jesus Himself was the Victim as well as the Priest. Hence, His recitation of the Psalm.

For your edification:

the Psalm Jesus quoted was written roughly 1,000 years prior to Jesus' birth. It has been found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, which predate Jesus' birth by at least 100 years.

William got that Psalm from the Old Testament - a portion of The Bible that even the most biased of anti-Christian scholars date to a time prior to Jesus' birth.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

• Christians (like 99%) believe that Jesus is God. Secondly, Jesus was fulfilling a prophecy from the Old Testament. Thirdly, I don't see how saying why have you forgotten me, is a renunciation. Also, he was dying, what kinds of things would you say if you were dying. Either way, it's not a renunciation.

You're looking at this through as if God is out there trying to get you and kill. That's not how God is at all. As the book of Samuel states, God knows the inside of people's hearts. God also is pure love. There's no hate in God. You can't do to things at once. You can't be a bully and be a kind person at the same time. This is what Christ taught, and I know that you know this deep inside your heart as well. Your ideas keep you from accepting this, but I think all people know that wrong is wrong, and that treating others with even an ounce of disrespect, even if it is to your enemy is wrong.

Christ taught, "love thy enemy" and "you won't be rewarded for what you do to those who are kind to you." It sounds stupid, but Jesus Christ wasn't a human, he was a God, and came to teach you the way of the gods, and challenges you to be just as he is.

You're not a filthy human. Human values, which is what is being exhibited here, will not be accepted in heaven. You're going to have to carry your cross and suffer just as Christ did, if you want to follow God. If you're looking for reward in heaven, if you're only following God, because you want glory in heaven, then that's completely missing the point. Heaven is for those who do good, without seeking any rewards, not for those who do good for the sake of rewards.

God's protection was fully taken away from Jesus so his integrity could fully be tested.

Also, he fulfilled a prophecy at Psalm 22:1.

Pathetic logic here.

And where did He renounce God? I don't see it.

What other god is he putting in front of God in this passage (hence breaking the first commandment)? I can't find another god mentioned.

And finally, how does this have anything to do with "Where is your god now?"

I hope you were just intending to be funny with this "question," because if you were trying to be serious, the only laugh you got from me was at your attempted logical progression.

And what exactly is your argument? You never made it clear.

Christ being God, being Lord of the world, having dominion over all things, all property is subject to His will. Creatures such as you and I have no right to question God, who is the source of rights.

Suppose your Dad's name was Bob. If you called him Bob instead of "Dad" or "Father", does that mean you are forsaking him?

That's a good point.