Roman Catholics and Protestants, Why Do You Take Your Position on the Virgin Mary?

I'm a Roman Catholic, and of course, I believe that the Virgin Mary is an extremely important person. I mean, Mary must have been important and significant and lived a sinless life in order for God to choose her to bear HIS son. But I'd like to know why Protestants view her as a lesser when it comes to religion and why, Catholics as well participate in the discussion.

Now, to make something clear, I don't put the Virgin Mary to the level of importance of God or Jesus Christ, just a very important figure in the Church, and a very significant person.

As 'Midge -- Former SDA and Happy' said, she is our Mother.

Favorite Answer

People do not realize that to attack the blessed mother is to also attack the atoning work of the father for mankind who sent His only Son for the sins of the world. He was born of a perfect vessel that was fitting for God and the Savior of the world, which was the blessed virgin who remained undefiled by man her whole saintly life. It is to her that we look to pattern our devotion to Christ as it is her that led a perfect life of devotion to Her Son, always pointing humanity to Him as the path to Salvation. She is the mother of the Church as Jesus at the Cross not only gave into her St. John but also to the Church. Jesus said to St. John and thus to the whole Church behold your mother. Likewise she was given the responsibility in eternity to be the mother us all. This is the closest of familial relationships which is for those who are “In Christ”. Just as God says to man, I am yours you are mine to believers, so to does He illustrate this relationship with His words from the Cross. This is why Christians from the beginning have called the blessed Mother of God, our mother. While one may be in the invisible church without this relationship with the blessed mother one cannot be of the Church and in God’s will without the fullness of the relationship which our Savior Has established through His grace for us all who are His.

One cannot reject the blessed mother without rejecting Her Son and the Church that He established with Himself as the cornerstone and the apostles as the 12 foundation stones, who themselves will sit in judgment of the twelve tribes of Israel. It is the structure built on these stones that ensures the endurance of His Church for all times as He promised. It is not a faith built on sand where one can attack those in His family in the most vicious, hideous and indeed, hellish of ways without suffering the eternal punishment of not only the separation of God but also the eternal pain and fires of hell in the company of Satan and all His minions, those seduced by Satan as Jesus said who would cry “Lord, Lord” and then be told that He never knew them and be thrown into the eternal fires designed not for them, as Jesus came to draw all men to Him for eternity, but for Satan and those in a familial unrepentant relationship where they do Satan’s will instead of the will of the Father. Woe to those who never knew Him and who have condemned themselves.

It is sad when one becomes so worldly that they cannot even recognize the heavenly and reject the example of the saints who have gone before who have suffered for their faith. Imagine the blessed mother of God at the foot of the cross watching her Son being defiled in the most brutal and humiliating way knowing that He is innocent of the charges against Him and deserving of all praise of mankind. It was such a horrible scene that even the followers, except the ladies who followed our Lord and the blessed St. John, were the only ones present at His sacrifice. No one else could bear it, either out of fear for retribution or out of love for the one they had followed for so long and learned that He was the Godman and the Savior of the world. St. Peter said it best at Capernaum, “where else can we go as you have the Words of eternal life” when they did not fully understand what He meant from His “hard teaching’ which is made clear on the cross when He said, “It is consummated after drinking the final cup of blessing from the hyssop branch. “It is finished” (consummated) meant that His atonement was just beginning bringing humanity into His presence of the New Covenant and out of the Old familial relationship of the Old Covenant. It was truly realized a few days later when He arose to fulfill prophecy as the final sign of the fulfillment of prophecy. The door is opened to heaven.

The blessed mother when referred to by our Lord as “woman” relates to her importance in the salvific plan of our father. It is her act of devotion and obedience that crushed the head of the Serpent (Satan) and defeated his plan for the condemnation of man. Sin entered the world through Eve and Satan and sin was defeated by the blessed Mother of our Lord. If she is not in heaven and saved by our Lord then there is no hope for us for none of us can ever reach the devotion and obedience of the one who is called by the angel of God the most blessed among women and consequently the most blessed of all humanity past, present and future. So do not let those who attack our mother defeat our hope in her Son and His promise for which His sacrifice has provided. May the Lord have mercy on those who do the work of Satan. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• Tina

The main reason it is wrong is that it is bearing false witness against others and that is a mortal sin according to the Decalogue. I am a convert to Catholic Christianity after having been a Protestant for 50 years. I researched all the criticism of Catholic Christianity and found the accusations against Catholic teaching to be false. Even with my most intent purpose of finding the Catholic Church in error I could not find where any of their doctrines were contradictory to the Scriptures. Not even one. I have an ongoing challenge to anyone and that is if you can find a contradiction between Catholic doctrinal teaching and the Bible I will become a Atheist. The reason is that if Jesus lied when He said that the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church and it has then I am not a follower of a liar. If the Bible is a false teacher in saying that the Church is the "pillar and foundation of the truth" then I will not follow a book that teaches falsely. No one has ever been able to make such a claim of contradiction between the Bible and the doctrines of the Church and support that claim in a reasonable way. If the Bible and Jesus are to be believed then anyone who worships outside of Christ's own Church, the Catholic Church, are doing so outside of the will of God. (Joh 17:21) But regardless, on that last day when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess, all who are saved will be Catholic. God bless! In Christ Fr. Joseph

St Mary is the no. 1 target in blasphemies in this YA. Since day one, we catholics have been evangelizing to new comers who is St Mary, the most misunderstood saint in the Catholic Church. Why would one belifies the mother of Jesus, as we all know that mothers are the strength behind our being a human. Same with Jesus, as His mother is his first apostle.

St Mary and the other saints reigns with Christ; what an EYE OPENER. So catholics ask her and the other saints to intercede to God in our behalf, as what the BIBLE SAID.

A] Rev 5:8-10 And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

[The prayers of saints... Here we see that the saints in heaven offer up to Christ the prayers of the faithful upon earth. (CHALLONER)

10 And have made us to our God a kingdom and priests, and we shall reign on the earth.

[B] REV 8:3-4 And another angel came and stood before the altar, having a golden censer: and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints, upon the golden altar which is before the throne of God.

4 And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel

[C] Rev 20:4 Then I saw thrones; those who sat on them were entrusted with judgment. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast or its image nor had accepted its mark on their foreheads or hands. They came to life and they reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

6 Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection. In these the second death has no power. But they shall be priests of God and of Christ: and shall reign with him a thousand years.

guys, don't turn a blind eye on the above scriptures.

Yes, St Mary is sinless just like David, Ezechia and Josias and St Stephen, full of grace.

Ecclesiasticus 49:5. Except David, and Ezechias and Josias, all committed sin

Eccl 47:13 The Lord took away his [david] sins, and exalted his horn for ever: and he gave him a covenant of the kingdom, and a throne of glory in Israel.

Ezechiel 44:2 the womb of St Mary is Holy and closed as the Lord pass thru it.

Ezechiel 44:2 And the Eternal says to me: This door will be closed, it will not open, and nobody will pass there; because the Eternal, God of Israel entered by there. It will remain closed

Source(s): rEV 20, 8, Ezechiel 44

The first place in the Bible where you will find the answer is Luke 1:28. If your answer is Gabriel, then it is the wrong answer. Gabriel is an Archangel, and the Greek word 'angel', means 'messenger'. So Gabriel was only a messenger for someone, but who? Gabriel was sent by GOD, so it was GOD's message that Gabriel delivered. If GOD was the first person to call Mary 'Blessed', can any of GOD's creatures do less? Dare you, or I, or anyone else refute a clear statement from GOD Himself? Anyone who attempts to do so is putting himself above GOD.

Others in Scripture called her "Blessed" also. Elizabeth did in Luke 1:42, and a "woman from the crowd" did in Luke 11:27. Mary herself said in Luke 1:48, "...for behold, henceforth all generations ‘shall’ call me Blessed." Can you dispute the fact that the word ‘shall’ is a command, and not a suggestion?

If you look up the word 'Blessed' in the dictionary, it means, 'Holy', held in 'Veneration', 'Revered'. GOD is telling us that Mary is Holy, and she should be venerated and revered. Why does any human try to refute the word of GOD?

Mary was the 1st disciple.

She is the Mother of God Incarnate.

She is our Mother.

• Hawk

First of all, the Bible says that everyone is a sinner.

Jesus is an exception of course, being GOD.

But Mary was a sinner like everyone else. I'm sure she was a "good person" but not sinless or perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

No where in the Bible does it say that Mary "veneration" (aka worship) is necessary for salvation. Note the answer of the catholic priest ( cristoig..., below). He claims "One cannot reject the blessed mother without rejecting Her Son..." He goes on to teach that someone who does not worship Mary will go to hell (Jesus will say "I never knew you.") This is false doctrine at its worst.

The only condition for salvation is that a person must make Jesus Christ his ONLY Savior. My redemption is by the blood of Christ, and I need no other. Those who are depending on another for their salvation WILL NOT BE SAVED! This is what Jesus taught.

Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Gal 1:6 ¶ I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

By all means, Mary is important and she is to be respected. However, God is to be worshiped and Jesus is worshiped the same as God. Mary is not worshiped in this way.

I am protestant, I dont view her as "lesser" but I feel she is a human, not someone to be prayed to. She was hand picked by God, she was tremendously blessed but she is just as human as the rest of us.

I am not Catholic. I am Seventh Day Adventist. Yes, it is important that she is the mother of Jesus, but she is dead. She sleeps in the ground, no memory, no thoughts, no knowledge. She is not YET in heaven, and she can't pray for me. I don't view her as an equal to Jesus, because she is mortal. I know that she will have a special home in heaven, when Jesus comes back the 2nd time.

I dont think Protestants view her as lesser, but she wasnt perfect. The only perfect person was the Savior.

She also didnt stay a virgin after the birth of the Savior and so I dont know why some people seem to think she did.

Mary was clearly a very spiritual person. Since I am Mormon I think it is pretty safe to say that most Mormons would think she is now a Goddess or will be.

She could not have lived a sinless life if Jesus was the only one that lived a sinless life. She was just righteous enough to raise the Savior in truth and goodness.

i think they decided to change things from what Martin Luther tried to teach them.

http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/martin_luther_on...