Roman Catholics and Protestants, Why Do You Take Your Position on the Virgin Mary?

I'm a Roman Catholic, and of course, I believe that the Virgin Mary is an extremely important person. I mean, Mary must have been important and significant and lived a sinless life in order for God to choose her to bear HIS son. But I'd like to know why Protestants view her as a lesser when it comes to... show more I'm a Roman Catholic, and of course, I believe that the Virgin Mary is an extremely important person. I mean, Mary must have been important and significant and lived a sinless life in order for God to choose her to bear HIS son. But I'd like to know why Protestants view her as a lesser when it comes to religion and why, Catholics as well participate in the discussion.
Update: Now, to make something clear, I don't put the Virgin Mary to the level of importance of God or Jesus Christ, just a very important figure in the Church, and a very significant person.
Update 2: As 'Midge -- Former SDA and Happy' said, she is our Mother.