Literature for the non-believer?

I'm trying to build up my Wish List on Amazon.com with books that I find interesting and would like to buy in the near future.

Could anyone recommend a book or two on non-beleif that they think is excellent and worth reading? Also, give a little summation of the books thesis and why you liked it.

I've read read the 'mainstream' atheist literature (Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Stenger, etc.)

@ Booth: I could tell by the title it'd be a horrible book

Favorite Answer

The ones marked with * are favorites.

2000 Years of Disbelief by James Haught

Against All Gods by A.C. Grayling

Atheist Universe by David Mills

Attack Upon Christendom by Soren Kierkegaard

Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett

Fighting Words by Hector Avalos

* God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger

Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker

Natural Atheism by David Eller

Nothing by Nica Lalli

On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche

On the Nature of Things by Lucretius

* The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

The Essence of Christianity by Ludwig Feuerbach

* The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by James George Frazer

The Jesus Puzzle by Earl Doherty

The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman

Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell

Why I Rejected Christianity by John Loftus

Religion and the Decline of Magic by Keith Thomas is mainly a work about the end of occult belief systems between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

But it is also an excellent general work about why people subscribe to irrational belief systems, and why they may then abandon them.

Christianity today is pretty much where witchcraft was around the early 1600's. Most people have serious doubts, but have not yet found the courage to declare themselves as non-believers.

Read some books by Sam Harris like The End of Faith, The Moral Landscape, and Letter to a Christian Nation.

The Book Of Atheist Spirituality--Andre Comte-Spoonville

According to Comte-Spoonville,we have allowed the concept of spirituality to become intertwined with religion and thus have lost touch with the nature of a true spiritual existence. In order to change this,however,we need not reject the ancient traditions and values that are part of our heritage; rather, we must rethink our relationship to these values and ask ourselves whether their significance comes from the existence of a higher power or simply from the human need to connect to one another and the universe. Comte-Sponville offers rigorous,reasoned arguments that take both the Eastern and Western philosophical traditions into account. Through his clear,concise,and often humorous prose,he offers a convincing treatise on a new form of spiritual life.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Lamb by Christopher Moore.

• YY4Me

There's a great book you can read on-line, or download free. It was recommended several years ago by another R&S poster, SuperAtheist. I downloaded it, and highlighted so many passages that almost the entire thing is yellow.

- - -

Superstition in All Ages

Text:

http://englishatheist.org/zing/MeslierSuperstition...

Download:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17607

.

Source(s): . ~ "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." ~ .

This one's not specifically atheist literature, but I found it immensely helpful in being able to order my own beliefs:

The Web Of Belief by Quine and Ullian.

Farewell To God, by Charles Templeton--he was the other half of the Billy Graham Crusades until he became agnostic.

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

Anything by T Lobsang Rampa