cathy l asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

I have a few kitten questions, please answer them!?

Hi I have a few kitten questions .

1.When do they open there eyes ?

2.When do there ears open so they can here?

3.How long till they can play?

4.When they start to play , should i get them toys ?

5.When do I begin to feed them kitten food ?

6.When do I begin to get them homes?

They were born march 25 , and its the moms first litter ! So please help!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Question 1. There eyes begin to open at 8 days and are completely open by 14 days. The eyes of short-haired cats open sooner than that of long-haired cats.

Question 2. The ear canals, which are closed at birth, begin to open at 5 to 8 days. They are normally fully open by 14 days of age. The tiny folded down ears become erect by 3 weeks.

Question 3. At about 4 weeks of age, kittens are following each other and playing.

Question 4. Toys probably won't be needed because they will be learning new things and playing with each other to learn life skills.

Question 5. Baby teeth start to erupt from the gums at about 2 weeks of age, with a full set of baby teeth present by 8 weeks of age. It is important to check the queen's mammary area from about 11 days on for injury from sharp teeth. Soon after, they can walk and can eat out of a bowl. Kittens can be started on weaning when they are 25 days old. Choose a premium commercial kitten food- one formulated to meet the needs of growing kittens. Read the label to be sure the product is suitable for feeding kittens 3-4 weeks of age and older. To stimulate the kittens' appetite, remove the queen two hours before each feeding. After the meal, let her nurse. To promote socialization and avoid behavior problems, feed kittens together until they are at least 6 weeks of age. To feed dry food, mix one part kibble to three parts water or kitten milk replacer. Soften to the consistency of gruel. Warm to room temperature. Feed in a somewhat shallow bowl. Dip your fingers into the mixture and let the kittens lick it off. Offer this three to four times a day. Gradually reduce the moisture content over several weeks until the kittens are eating the mixture dry. This usually occurs by 7 to 8 weeks of age. To feed canned food, begin with two parts canned food to one part water or kitten milk replacer. Follow the same steps as described for feeding dry food. Kittens who eat too much food may get diarrhea. This can be due to excessive food or some degree of intolerance to the food. Temporarily reduce the number of feedings and continue with breast feeding until the stools are normal. Kittens have high water requirements and will dehydrate quickly if they do not get enough fluids. (Prior to weaning, these requirements come from the queen's milk). Accordingly, it is upmost importance to keep a bowl of fresh water available at all times. Ideally, this should be set up so that kittens cannot get in it, get wet and become chilled. Vitamin and mineral supplements are not necessary or desirable when you are feeding a nutritionally balanced growth food. As the kittens are weaned , there is less demand on the queen's supply. You should decrease her caloric intake. This initiates the drying-up process.

Question 6. After 6 weeks, social interaction with unknown human beings and exposure to new and non-threatening situations are important for proper development of a happy, well-adjusted pet. Crucial socialization takes place between 3 and 9 weeks of age and kittens need to be handled by humans by 7 weeks of age at the latest. At 10 to 14 weeks of age, kittens become susceptible to respiratory and digestive tract infections because they lost the protective immunity of the mother's milk. Ideally, they should be vaccinated before this time to stimulate immunity of their own. If they become ill, there is a marked reduction in food intake at a time when they should be gaining 6 or more ounces (170g) a week. As a result, they stop growing and become weak and debilitated. This further impairs their resistance to illness. Such kittens should receive special attention. Every effort should be made to ensure adequate nutrition. Appropriate vaccinations during kittenhood will prevent these ailments. Probiotics, such as BeneBac, can be helpful. Fully weaned kittens need a healthy diet. The best time to find them homes is at about 12 weeks old to answer your question, because they are well socialized and self-reliant.

Source(s): Cat owner - Information from 'Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd Edition"
  • 10 years ago

It is a big responsibility to take care of a litter of kittens, and the mommy. Many of your questions have been answered by other posters. I just wanted to pipe in on your #6--when to begin to get them homes.

It is never too early to get them lined up with their perspective new owners. Even though you shouldn't let them go until they are at least 8 weeks old or even a little older, the new owners can come and pick out their favorite right away starting when the cats are about a week or two old. Don't let them be handled too much, but they can take some loving from humans at an early age. It socializes them better than cats that never have the human connection until after they are 6 or 7 weeks old.

Start now! And good luck with your beautiful new little family!

Source(s): I am owned by 3 cats now and have always been around cats--over 50 years worth!
  • 10 years ago

Hey, and congratulations on your new friends. (:

They open their eyes around 2 - 3 weeks, they'll open one slightly first and the other will follow.

They can hear from birth, I do believe. (:

They will start to play soon after they open their eyes and their legs are strong enough. Around three to four weeks.

I would advise buying them toys from when they are a few weeks old so that they get used to it.

You should begin to feed them their own kitten food between five and six weeks.

You should make sure your kittens are at least eight weeks old before giving them to a new owner.

This way, they have spent time with their Mother and siblings and learnt how to fend for themselves, feed themselves etc.

And, by this time, you could well have litter trained them.

Good luck!

Source(s): Animal Care Student. Have bought up 24 kitttens from birth. :)
  • 10 years ago

1. 6-10 days

2. 4-10 days

3. I would say five weeks. My kittens are always becoming energetic soon after they hit five weeks.

4. If you get them toys, make sure to watch them when they play with them. They might hurt themselves.

5. 1-2 months.

6. Kittens are able to live without their mothers until three months, but I kept my cat's first litter until they were around hmmm.....Seven months I think.

Source(s): Have taken care of many kittens from their birth, and am taking care of one now.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Well generally you should leave them alone with Mom for as long as she wants.

They'll start to wonder and she'll bring them to food and water, she knows where it is. Once they do come down (usually she'll pick them up with her teeth on the back of their neck and drag them to the food/water) make sure you closely watch the mother cat. If she doesn't mind you playing or picking them up then go ahead otherwise leave them alone longer. Mother cats (and other mammals) sometimes kill their young if they smell the scent of an outsider on them. Usually the mother cat will bring them down when she's sick of nursing them, once this happens usually she'll go and get her owner's attention somehow to come see the kittens, let her invite you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.