Ka-bar USMC Combat serrated knife vs ontario 499 Airforce survival knife?

My question is which is better as a survival knife?

Favorite Answer

Both are classic knives and asking which is better is kinda like asking someone why their religion is better than another. Lots of emotion, passion and semi-facts.

If I address the specific question about survival knives and was limited to one or the other, I'd probably go with the Air Force Survival knife. I carried one for a number of years and it was very handy, capable of any task around camp (except making coffee).

Today I carry a Gerber LMF 2 (see link below)

The KA-BAR was designed mainly as a fighting and hunting/utility knife, not as a purpose-built "survival" knife (a concept that's relatively new). Also - those KA-BAR style knives that have the sawbacks on the blunt side are basically half-assed saws that are honesly not good for much. The ones that have hollow handles which can store small items like matches, fishing hooks and the like are certainly better than just a plain old knife. Those multi-tools as sold by Gerber and Leatherman, which are like Swiss Army knives except that they have usable pliers, are really much better for all-around "survival" use than a regular knife. As a combat weapon, the KA-BAR is pretty good, certainly better than a Leatherman or packsaw - but really - if I were going into the bush and could only have one bladed tool/weapon, it wouldn't be a KA-BAR - it would be one of those better quality machetes that have a sawback. I'd take a machete over a knife any day in a combat situation.

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

I would have to go with the Ka-bar... I think the USMC knows what they're doing.