Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Windows 7 won't start. "BOOTMGR is missing." "Recovery discs can't restore... 0xe0ef0003"?

My 32 day old Compaq Presario Desktop PC has decided to stop booting.

When I turn it on, i'm greeted by a screen allowing esc/F10/F11/F12 menus, then quickly pushed to a black screen with the only text being "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

Upon calling HP support, I was informed to run a few self-tests from the F10 menu. (SMART short and extended self-test.) Both passed with 0 errors.

Next I was shipped HP Recovery Discs.

These also didn't work.

Restore stopped at 70%, giving me the error 0xe0ef0003.

(I tried this 5 more times to confirm.)

Next, I was informed to use the "Cyberlink Recovery Discs Utility" off their site.

The green check came up as it said it would.

Same results with the discs.

HP support is no help.

What should I do?

P.S. --> I don't have the Windows 7 Disc.

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately you need the Windows 7 disc. The CD they shipped you was most likely because they are using their own version of Windows 7 Recovery. If that is failing then this is most likely a 90% chance of hardware failure or lack of testing on their end before shipping the product out. Most of these company's put a seal on your case so if you open it your warranty is voided. PLEASE LOOK FIRST BEFORE DOING THIS. If you don't have a seal then open your computer case up (with it unplugged) and unplug the hard drive (both cables) then plug them back in carefully and make sure they are secure. Replace the cover and try to boot up. With the information you have given (good job by the way) It's most likely hardware related but there is still a small chance of OS corruption and they need to fix it or provide you with a Windows 7 disc. Sorry but there isn't much more to it then that. Not fun to have a new computer that doesn't work.

Source(s): Please check me out with any problems! http://www.crossloop.com/JoshStephens

Ok what you need to do it.

1. Unplug the computer from the wall.

2. wait a minute

3.plug it back in

4. start it up.

see what happens.

I get this message all the time and the windows cd cannot fix it.

If that does not work you can try taking out the motherboard battery. That will reset the cmos. Wait 10 minutes then put it back in. To get to the motherboard batter you need to open the computer case. Remember be carefulleno to shock the motherboard from static. Ground your self first.

Hope this helps

Source(s): Computer Nerd. Computer builder 10 years.
  • Jay

ok here is the scoop.

1. Some of the Seagate drives shipped with Compaq Presarios were faulty. You want to check and see if you have one of the affected Seagate drives. There is a firmware update

2. Apparently there is an issue with the Hardware diagnostic tool that results in the error you described in your recovery process with the HP disks. They have an updated tool.

Im sorry but you will either have to purchase Windows 7 or get your warranty repair done. I have known Compaq computers to have a lot more problems than normal. next time you buy a computer dont get a Compaq

I HAVE HP DESKTOP WITH WINDOW'S 7 SAYS BOOTMGR MISSING WHAT CAN I DO I TRIED TAKING OUT BATTERY AND UNPLUGED HARD DRIVE STILL THE SAME

i have a hp g61 and it saying my bootmgr is missing how can i fix it