Mortgage in default, received 1st letter from bank lawyer about Foreclosure. Help!?

Like alot of other people out there, my husband and I fell on hard times and our mortgage is in default. We havent paid a full mortgage payment since last October (though we have sent them $500 here & there when we have the money). We recieved our 1st letter from Wells Fargo's lawyer saying our house is now... show more Like alot of other people out there, my husband and I fell on hard times and our mortgage is in default. We havent paid a full mortgage payment since last October (though we have sent them $500 here & there when we have the money).

We recieved our 1st letter from Wells Fargo's lawyer saying our house is now going into foreclosure. We're in the process of trying to get a loan modification with Wells Fargo.

So here's my question:
1) Is it too late to try for a loan modification?
2) Is there a way to save our home that doesnt include money?
3) What should we do from this point on.

I'm really scared of losing our home. Help!