Ollie asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

why do fish smell like fish?

ive always wondered why fish smell like they do hmmmm please help ty

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, they're not supposed to smell fishy. Or at least not too fishy.

The meat of a fresh fish is almost odorless. Any smell it may have is probably the result of something it ate or the type of water it was in when caught. Fish take on that really fishy smell only when they're dead and bacteria and enzymes go to work at breaking down the tissue.

Fish come equipped with a compound called trimethylamine N-oxide. Don't ask me what it is because I don't know. Well, I do know, but it's too complicated to go into right now. Fish scientists think they use this stuff kind of like antifreeze. It lowers the freezing point of their body fluids.

And it's that compound that makes fish smell like fish when they're dead.

You have some trimethylamine N-oxide in you, too. You get it from eating eggs, liver, soy products and fish, and for the most part that's fine.

However, about 1 percent of the population has a glitch in the genes that affect the way the body processes the stuff. The result is that their breath smells like dead fish.

This is called trimethylaminuria or fish-breath syndrome, and you have to figure it can't be a very fun thing to have.

It has been around forever, but it wasn't until about 1970 that doctors figured out what was going on. It can be controlled with antibiotics and diet.

Dogs can get it, too. That would be awful. A lot of dogs smell bad enough as it is. And in Sweden they have discovered that if cows eat a plant known as the stinking goosefoot they produce fishy-smelling milk.

So, that's that. There's room for one more if it's short.

Why are there no square sand traps on golf courses?

I'll probably regret this one. Some golf course somewhere probably has plenty of square sand traps, and I'll be hearing all about it for the next several days.

But look at it this way: Why would there be square sand traps?

Golf courses are meant to look like lush and rolling fields and intended to be kind of natural looking in an artificial sort of way. Squares would break that up. Square shapes just aren't something you see a lot of in nature, although I'll probably regret saying that as well.

EndlerGuppy

• 1 decade ago

Simple, because they are fish. Fish smell they way they do because of the slime coat, the water they lived in and the smell of their meat. Just the way humans smell like humans.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

because its made from sea weed and stuff from the sea so even if or not they grew it themselves they'd likely nonetheless prefer to characteristic the salt for it to advance excellent and that i do not understand why you're smelling fish food its likely a similar reason i did

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=100604...

You might want to check out this link, it's very similar to your question.

Fresh fish do not smell bad, they only begin to smell when they start to decay and decompose.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.