? asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

Whats your opinion on the Ka-Bar Knives?

Whats your general opinion of Ka-Bars?

What about, specifically, this one, as a general use knife.

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?pro...

Favorite Answer

Don't listen to a Marine on this knife, they're brainwashed on it. :)

Kidding, really. The Marines are a little bias on this knife, but for good reason. It has been standard issue since before WWII, just like the 1911A1, and for good reasons. It is simple, strong, effective, and easy to use (all big pluses in combat). People may joke about the Corps, but they know a good thing when they see it. This knife is almost as tough as the men (and women) who use it. Since I wasn't in the Corps, I didn't get this toy to play with. Instead, I got a crappy little dagger that you could take apart, lose pieces of, would break its plastic handle, and so on. Trust me, the Corps knows what is good. When it comes down to survival, this knife is one of the best, even to be 50+ years old.

The new versions may improve it or not, depending on your view. There are some great knives out there, but the K is one of the best and at a solid price too. I carried a pocket knife they made for decades, before I decided to retire it before it was lost or stolen. That little sucker was a lot less knife, but lived up to its bigger brother.

I've heard some say that there are "better" knives out there. I've even seen some with prices hitting the $500 range. Exotic metals, handles, fancy sheaths, the whole nine years. But, if you keep it simple, you rarely go wrong. A fancy knife is good in a collection, but a service knife doesn't have to be fancy. If you lose a K, you can replace it cheaply and still have a great knife, just like the lost one. If you know your knife, inside and out, then you can do a lot more and know you can do it, without counting on fancy gadgets or extras.

• Shogun

Semper Fi Big Bad Wolf. I too favor the Ka-Bar, especially the one with USMC on it. Ka-Bar reminds me of Buck knives. They are a tough utility knife. The steel is hard and an amateur will spend quite a few hours getting a good edge on one, but once it is there it stays really well. You will never regret owning a Ka-Bar.

The one you are looking at is a fighting knife. It will more than do as a hunting knife, but with the excellent grip and blood groove it is made to take on two legged creatures. Excellent choice for defense. Do not use it on cardboard. I found out the hard way that cardboard destroys a knife edge like cutting fish on a rock. I destroyed a couple hours of hard sharpening work in just a few slashes.

Source(s): Hunter / Shooter

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Very good general purpose knife. In fact I carried a full-sized model for many years; and so did several of my uncles.

(Perhaps I should tell you that, today, I would prefer to carry a Becker, 'Companion' knife for both general purpose and game preparation.)

PS: If you go ahead with this purchase, shop the net. You can beat those prices - OK.

This one

is one of the finest knives ever made

I've had mine for almost 30 years and have carried it halfway around the world and back wearing out a couple of leather sheaths. The knife itself is still going strong.

Mine has the leather handle. As mentioned by another, shop around, there are better prices out there.

Source(s): Capt USMCR (Ret)

Ka-Bar knives are among the best ever made,

personally i've owned one for over a year now and it has never let me down. before that my father spent 3 years in the USMC and he used a Ka-Bar and it lasted him forever...

They are among the greatest investments for any hunter or wilderness fan

If you want it for general use, I ´d recommend the larger one, actually a 7 " is a verry good option as a general us knife, unles you live in one of those crazy states that they´re banned

Not a huge fan.

They're great knives, durable, simple... But side by side, I prefer Benchmade. I have a Benchmade CSK II that is lightweight, excellent steel, excellent balance. Plus, their customer service is excellent.

This knife is amazing. They are tough and durable for any basically any situation.

Personally I prefer the Full-Size but that's personal preference.

My opinion.. Buy it, you won't regret it.

Source(s): Me