how to go from being a detective to being a sergeant?

Just wanted to know all of the requirements and things that had to be done to become a sergeant in a local police department

Favorite Answer

Brown nose your way up..

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration
  • Jay

No sense in giving you the requirements because there are thousands of police departments and each has its own rules, etc. Some require a college degree, some don't. Some require a certain amount of time on the department, etc.

Generally you will be in patrol as a uniformed officer for years, at a certain time you will take a test, go before an oral interview board, be evaluated, and eventually a promotional list will come out and whoever is in first place gets promoted first.