question about acne medication?

i have a little tub of Erythromycin-Benzoyl Peroxide Topical Gel and the label says to discard it after 3 months. what will happen if i use it after 3 months has passed?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

1. Proactiv is a SCAM... Guess what the Active Ingredient is in almost all of their products?

Benzoyl Peroxide

You paid $4.00 for the tube of Benzoyl Peroxide you are asking about but the SAME DAMN THING from Proactiv is $10.00+ a bottle. The stuff you buy at Walgreens for $4.00 is just as good a Proactiv.

Proactiv is a SSCCAAMM

"Repairing Treatment"

http://www.proactiv.com/order/select.php

Our light, oil-free lotion contains finely milled prescription-grade ► benzoyl peroxide ◄ to heal blemishes and helps prevent future breakouts. The advanced delivery system in Repairing Treatment is safe for your entire face. 1 oz.

2. How long past the expiration date is the product? Something like B.P. is shelf stable for 2 years + without degrading. I am not sure what the Erythromycin is... that may be the problem...

Test the cream on the back of your arm to see if you will have a reaction or not.

I'll BRB with info on Erythromycin.

WOW... This stuff sounds horrible... I wouldn't take it...

Even used topically, it still absorbs through your skin and can cause the neurological and psychological side effects if you are sensitive.

Such a short shelf life means that something breaks down SUPER QUICK... You can usually go double the expiration but something with that short a shelf life? Don't chance it...

PLEASE THROW IT OUT.

Erythromycin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin

Erythromycin is a macrolide antibiotic that has an antimicrobial spectrum similar to or slightly wider than that of penicillin, and is often used for people who have an allergy to penicillins. For respiratory tract infections, it has better coverage of atypical organisms, including mycoplasma and Legionellosis. It was first marketed by Eli Lilly and Company, and it is today commonly known as EES (erythromycin ethylsuccinate, an ester prodrug that is commonly administered).

In structure, this macrocyclic compound contains a 14-membered lactone ring with ten asymmetric centers and two sugars (L-cladinose and D-desosamine), making it a compound very difficult to produce via synthetic methods.

Erythromycin is produced from a strain of the actinomycete Saccharopolyspora erythraea.

Adverse effects:

Gastrointestinal disturbances, such as diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting, are very common because erythromycin is a motilin agonist[8] Erythromycin used for feeding intolerance in young infants has not been associated with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.[9]. Because of this, erythromycin tends not to be prescribed as a first-line drug. However, erythromycin may be useful in treating gastroparesis due to this pro-motility effect. Intravenous erythromycin may also be used in endoscopy as an adjunct to clear gastric contents.

More serious side-effects, such as arrhythmia and reversible deafness, are rare. Allergic reactions, while uncommon, may occur, ranging from urticaria to anaphylaxis. Cholestasis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis are some other rare side-effects that may occur.

Exposure to erythromycin (especially long courses at antimicrobial doses, and also through breastfeeding) has been linked to an increased probability of pyloric stenosis in young infants.[9] Erythromycin used for feeding intolerance in young infants has not been associated with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.[9]

E.E.S. (erythromycin estolate) has been associated with reversible hepatotoxicity in pregnant women in the form of elevated serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase and is not recommended during pregnancy. Some evidence suggests similar hepatotoxicity in other populations.[10]

► It can also affect the central nervous system, causing psychotic reactions and nightmares and night sweats.[11] ◄

May also alter the effectiveness of combined oral contraceptive pills because of its effect on the gut flora. Erythromycin is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 system which means that it can have a rapid effect on levels of other drugs metabolised by this system e.g. warfarin.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDAat 1-800-FDA-1088.

• Lilly
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Right now my skin is perfectly clear, for the first time in 3 years. It's been about 9 weeks and all my acne is gone. It is such a great feeling to wake up with clear skin.

Holistic Acne Treatment Guide?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

You would probably get a rash or something like that. But if you have Acne, i recommend pro-active. its great and it works. i found out about it by watching infomercials late at night because im not sleepy. and it really does work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.