Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Jehovah’s Witnesses: Why were Leo Greenlees and Ewart Chitty forced to resign from your governing body?

I recently pointed out that two of your governing body had been removed for pedophilic practices (Leo Greenlees) and homosexuality (Ewart Chitty). One response said that I “had no basis for my propaganda and slanderous hearsay.” Here’s my basis. Immediately after they were forced to resign, a January 1, 1986 WT article (p. 13), commented: "Shocking as it is, some who have been prominent in Jehovah's organization have succumbed to homosexuality and child molesting."

When your magazine made those comments, was it referring to GB members Ewart Chitty and Leo K. Greenlees? I am curious because I obviously have no “insider information.”

Could a Jehovah’s Witness figure out where I am wrong? Are there any records that indicate why these two men were forced to resign? If I am wrong, then I certainly do not wish to promote any further slanderous hearsay.

Hi Pedro: I think we both agree that these two men were forced to resign from your governing body. We disagree about WHY they had to resign. Seeing as you do not agree that it had anything to do with improper sexual conduct, perhaps you could explain the true reason. Thank you.

• Pedro
    Best Answer

I stand by my statement, the link you provided in your last question proved my point!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhIY1...

**edit**

Your not really painting the real picture/reason for my statement.

Read paragraph 4 of your last question and give reputable sources for all your gorry details . . . and I'm not talking about your JW hate sites/blogs.

Oh and emails don't count, I can type up an email that proves anything I want.

thanks in advance

Also w/ regards to why they resigned, it very well could've been sexual misconduct, who knows. My point is you don't!

No, rather you choose to believe all you read and than add to that . . .Why?

• nightcrawler 0_2
      4 years agoReport

Correct about that, but I do know first hand that the leadership at Bethel do cover over the transgressions of their elders as I have seen it happen, and I know without question that the WT organisation is a cult and dangerous, so this most likely is true also.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I recently pointed out that two of your governing body had been removed for pedophilic practices (Leo Greenlees) and homosexuality (Ewart Chitty). One response said that I “had no basis for my propaganda and slanderous hearsay.” Here’s my basis. Immediately after they were forced to resign, a...

Source(s): jehovah witnesses leo greenlees ewart chitty forced resign governing body: https://tr.im/PvOwl

I don't understand the purpose of this question, Is it just for curiosity or are you really looking to do something. You know reading the whole bible and having all this head knowledge isn't the way for a True Christian. Being a hearer of the word and not a doer of what is said will not bring you any closer to God Jehovah, and looking for a straw in a person's eye is not any good either, you most likely will have a rafter sticking out of your own eye, First you need to remove the rafter from your eye before your can extract the straw from anothers eye. Or are you asking if the will of God can be undone by man. Not hardly. even til death, God's will will be done, his people will suffer. but they will not be ruined, in fact God Jehovah himself said that if anyone hurts any of his children it will be like sticking a needle in his eye. So what do you think would happen if some one on the Governing Body would betray their position. or if someone not associated with Jehovah's people tried to undue God's will by hurting or ruin one of his children. Your question may seem valid, but it has no real purpose for you to know the answer. Perhaps you can find something more useful to do with your time. How about a bible study, you are more then welcome to receive one at no charge and even in your own how. If your heart is sincere and you pray to Jehovah with all your heart, then you will be able to have more meaningful answer to all your question and even more then you can imagine, way more! because at best you don't even know the half of it. I am being direct with your question. I don't know how else to put it for you, so don't think I am trying to give you a rude answer, Just the truth. Thank You!

Leo Greenlees

The fact is Greenlees and Chitty were quietly removed from their coveted governing body positions. Otherwise, we would have read in the publications on how they had died. No articles of their death = removal from body.

Why they were removed had to have been something significant as anyone that leaves Bethel much less a governing body position will be frowned upon if not ridiculed and labeled as "spiritually weak".

Bottom line is they did something very wrong and the Society just kept it quiet in order to keep their image as a holy appointed body unblemished.

Can anyone prove me wrong?

Men are only men regardless of their position. Judas Iscariot was one of the 12 selected by Jesus but was a betrayer of the messiah himself. That is pretty serious when you think about it.

If someone serving on the governing body for Jehovah's witnesses was involved in serious wrongdoing it would be handled with the same confidentiality as if it was committed by anyone else.

I do have to say though that any time I have meant a brother from the governing body I have always been impressed with their humility.

Chitty resigned in '79 and Greenlees in '84. So their resignations did not prompt the '86 article, as you seem to imply. You did use the word 'immediately.'

There removal may have been prompted by homosexuality and pedophilia, but it is my understanding that there were accusations without proof.

If that is the case, then everything was handled properly. Even today, if a JW with responsibility is accused of such things, but there is no evidence, they are removed from their responsibility. They may be innocent, but it is better safe than sorry.

• nightcrawler 0_2
      4 years agoReport

You're clearly living in a world of make believe Abernathy I have been a JW for over 30 years and can prove you are wrong, the leadership actually protect elders who have committed wrongdoing, as long as only few know about it.

• Gossip columnist. That is what you have become. How sad.

Surely you know that no one here is a member of the Governing Body, and we cannot therefore answer your question.

But gossip and baseless speculation are not answers, either.

Jehovah's Witnesses are quite open and honest about the fact that pedophilia has touched us, as it has also the larger society.

But we are seldom given due credit for the strict policies we have set in place to prevent such perversions for the present and for the future.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
    • nightcrawler 0_2
      4 years agoReport

JW's open and honest lol, that in itself is nothing but a delusion. The truth is when we bury our head all we see is darkness so many may not be lying openly but their choices still condemn them from YHWH's standpoint.

The short answer: I do not know.

Your prurient curiosity is understandable; a product, no doubt, of the "anything goes' society in which we now live and the glee with which others' sexual conduct is hashed and rehashed in life and on network television. Everyone seems immoderately curious about everyone else's sexual proclivities and behavior. It is not easy to resist the spirit of the world. Having said that . . .

It is difficult to say why they resigned. I am sure I do not know. It may very well be that sexual misconduct was involved. Let us suppose, for the moment, that the resignation entailed such behavior. Now what? Is there some example among God's people that we can follow which would guide us in the proper response? Let's see . . .

High priest Eli had two sons – Phinehas and Hophni - themselves underpriests in the nation of Israel. The behavior of Phinehas and Hophni was quite shocking. The record at 1 Samuel 2:12-17 reports that Phinehas and Hophni treated the offering of Jehovah with gross disrespect. As if that were not enough, verse 22 reports that these two sons – priests – were practicing fornication. The behavior of Phinehas and Hophni was so blatant that according to 2 Samuel 2:22 and 23, all the people knew of it. Including Eli. As High Priest, Eli should have done something. But according to 2 Samuel 2:29, Jehovah wanted to know why Eli kept honoring his sons more than he honored the Most High God. Indeed, verse 25 reports that Jehovah was now pleased to put Phinehas and Hophni to death for their reprehensible behavior. What about the people?

There is no indication that any of the people did anything other than go on about their worship. Doubtless, the people continued doing what they were supposed to do. Even Hannah, according to 1 Samuel 1:15-18, continued showing great respect for the High Priest Eli. The people left the matter in the hands of their God Jehovah. In due time, he took care of it. In the meantime, they continued showing respect for the High Priest of God.

That is a fine example for worshipers of God to follow today, would you not agree? That is what Jehovah's people try to do. According to 1 Corinthians 11:3, Jehovah is the head of Christ and according to Colossians 1:18, Christ is the head of the Christian congregation. Indeed, Revelation chapters 2 and 3 illustrate the manner in which Christ deals with necessary matters in his congregations. Even if you do not believe that Jehovah's Witnesses form the congregation of Jesus, surely you must admit that Jesus is still the head of the Christian congregation. Surely you believe that he is more than capable of handling matters in the proper way and in a timely fashion. Why then do you not leave him to his work? Shouldn't we all leave our Lord Jesus to his work?

I say to you what the prophet Azariah, along with 80 valiant priests, said to the presumptuous king Uzziah who had stepped beyond his authority: The account at 2 Chronicles 26:18 reads: "It is not your business Uzziah . . . it is the business of the priests."

And so I say to you sir, it is not your business why, how and when. It is the business of the head of the Christian congregation and the stars in his hand. Revelation 1:20.

Hannah J Paul

• Cheryl

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avuvh

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995) - Galatians 2:4 "False Christians were brought in. They slipped in as spies to learn about the freedom Christ Jesus gives us. They hoped to find a way to control us." New International Version (©1984) - Romans 16:17 "I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them." I have heard this before. If what you have copied from other sites is true, I am not worried. As you stated and I quote in part: "[...]with the help of Jehovah, the existing members of your governing body [are] able to repel the invasion and purge the cancer from their midst." As to apostate material and speech is concern: Bible in Basic English "Those who make war against the Lord will be broken; against them he will send his thunder from heaven: the Lord will be judge of the ends of the earth, he will give strength to his king, lifting up the horn of him on whom the holy oil has been put." - 1 Samuel 2:10