Remember when obama said this:?

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." Is he still planning to do this?

Favorite Answer

He didn't mean that LITERALLY. smh...

Q:

Is Obama planning a Gestapo-like "civilian national security force"?

I read a quote from Rep. Paul Broun from Georgia which stated that Obama wants to set up a civilian national security force that was similar to the "Gestapo" or the Nazi Brownshirts.

What is the truth behind Obama's statements that he wants to create a "civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded [as the military]"?

A:

This false claim is a badly distorted version of Obama's call for doubling the Peace Corps, creating volunteer networks and increasing the size of the Foreign Service.

This question stems from an interview that Republican Rep. Broun of Georgia gave to The Associated Press Nov. 10. The story carried a headline, "Georgia congressman warns of Obama dictatorship." It said that Broun "fears that President-elect Obama will establish a Gestapo-like security force to impose a Marxist or fascist dictatorship." And it quoted him this way:

Rep. Paul Broun, Nov. 10: It may sound a bit crazy and off base, but the thing is, he's [Obama's] the one who proposed this national security force. ... That's exactly what Hitler did in Nazi Germany and it's exactly what the Soviet Union did.

Similar claims have been circulating in right-leaning blogs and conservative Web sites ever since July, when Obama made a single reference to a "civilian national security force" in a campaign speech in Colorado. Obama's detractors make much of his expansive (and exaggerated) description of such a force as being "just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as the U.S. military. They also ignore the context.

Obama was not talking about a "security force" with guns or police powers. He was talking specifically about expanding AmeriCorps and the Peace Corps and the USA Freedom Corps, which is the volunteer initiative launched by the Bush administration after the attacks of 9/11, and about increasing the number of trained Foreign Service officers who populate U.S. embassies overseas.

Here is the relevant portion of what Obama actually said, with the sentences quoted selectively by Broun and others in bold.

Obama, July 2, Colorado Springs, CO: [As] president I will expand AmeriCorps to 250,000 slots [from 75,000] and make that increased service a vehicle to meet national goals, like providing health care and education, saving our planet and restoring our standing in the world, so that citizens see their effort connected to a common purpose.

People of all ages, stations and skills will be asked to serve. Because when it comes to the challenges we face, the American people are not the problem – they are the answer. So we are going to send more college graduates to teach and mentor our young people. We'll call on Americans to join an energy corps, to conduct renewable energy and environmental clean-up projects in their neighborhoods all across the country.

We will enlist our veterans to find jobs and support for other vets, and to be there for our military families. And we're going to grow our Foreign Service, open consulates that have been shuttered and double the size of the Peace Corps by 2011 to renew our diplomacy. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set.

We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded. We need to use technology to connect people to service. We'll expand USA Freedom Corps to create online networks where American can browse opportunities to volunteer. You'll be able to search by category, time commitment and skill sets. You'll be able to rate service opportunities, build service networks, and create your own service pages to track your hours and activities.

This will empower more Americans to craft their own service agenda and make their own change from the bottom up.

Does that sound like a force that could kick down your door in the middle of the night and haul you off to a Gulag or concentration camp? You decide.

• There is a reason for this. There is a Federal law that prohibits deployment of US troops within the United States borders. This means federal troops cannot be used to put down riots or civil uprisings. Obama is afraid there may be mass civil unrest, and rather that have to battle a new law through Congress or have the old law repealed, it seems less onerous to pass a new law about raising a "Civilian National Security Force". This is the same approach taken by Hitler with the formation of the SD and the SS, which were essentially his own private army. Obama is looking to do the same this, to create his own private independent army that he can use to defend against mass riots and civil unrest. This is the force that will be used to round up dissenters and cart them off to the FEMA concentration camps.

I really fear for where this country is headed.

He said it in Colorado in July. I also remember him trying to talk people into reporting their neighbors if they said negative things about the health care bill.

I hear the CEOs of companies like Caterpillar are being called before congress now because of how the new health care bill is going to impact their businesses. Sounds like interrogation and punishment to me.

I hope everyone is paying attention to what Obama is doing. And I hope everyone will go to the polls and vote these democrats out of office.

What do you think Homeland Security is?

Yes, Google the "Ready Reserve Corps" and the little provision about it slipped into the healthcare bill.

he was talking about using more law enforcement instead of military action to fight terrorism

• barry

yes they are, they already voted on it and it passed, they have not allocated any money for that in the budget.

No

I can't say I remember President Obama saying that.

Fear is not good.

• Power

No, I don't remember him saying that but I am sure if he said it he is still going to do it...he is still chewing alot thanks to Bush leaving him a full plate & no one can eat the smorgasbord all at once, only one bite at a time.

I'm sure he is. This man is trying to get soul control of the government, I don't know why.

I can't figure out why people think Obama is so smart. I've seen nothing come out of his mouth that suggests he's smart.

Remember:

Obama said we have 57 states.