Bell
Bell asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Should I Put it On My Resume??? 10 pts best answer?

I'm trying to put together a really great resume to get a job on a cruise ship this fall.

I've had 2 real-world jobs that I worked at for about 2 years each. I've been working since I was 12 technically because my mother has her own cleaning business and I worked with her every weekend cleaning houses/condos/apartments/cabins for about 4 years.

Should I put my mother's cleaning business on my resume? Or would that look childish? I'm 20 years old. I did learn a lot about work ethic so I think it might be a plus?

What do you think?

How would I word that I learned good work ethic from a young age?

Okay, I also have a lot of really good retail experience so I won't end up being a housekeeper most likely but it's nice for employers to see that you're a good worker and I did work hard even tho I was 12-15 years old.

• jessmo
    Favorite Answer

I would not list anything as a "job" if you worked it before the legal age you can begin work. What I WOULD do is put it on your resume in another section that shows experience in other fields, like volunteer work, etc if you are also listing those things. You could just put that you have several years of experience cleaning with a family member's business. Another question you should consider is whether this experience is relevant to the job you are applying for. Are you going to be cleaning? Or are you going to be doing something completely different? If this work experience doesn't apply, then you might as well leave it off altogether.

• Lynn

All resumes should be printed on white or off white"resume paper". It is a heavier paper, usually with a watermark. If you go to Staples, Office Depot etc. it is sold as "resume paper" and also has envelopes in a kit or sold separately. The stuff that costs $8 is as sufficient as the $30 stuff. You should concern yourself more with other things involving your resume ; like it should be one page !PERIOD! (it might wind up straight in the trash if it is longer) Keep it as short and sweet as possible. but make sure it includes a correct phone number for yourself, and be sure to add phone numbers and dates for previous employers. Check your spelling. Don't say "I or me" type things more than you MUST. Do not use a 10 point font, only people with wonderful vision can read it without squinting. 12 is good, 14 is optimal if you can align it correctly and still have room for everything. All of this may sound fundamental, and dumb that I am saying it all out loud................but you would be surprised. I am a manager. I have hired people, fired people and written several resumes for others.

Well it was work experience and that it taught good work ethics..

You don't have to say that it was your mother's cleaning business.

You can just say that it was a family business.

The only time you would need to bring it up would be if you were asked what kind of business it was in a face to face interview.

No problems there.

Good Luck.

I would but I wouldn't put, it was my mothers cleaning business. Experience is great no matter how you get it. Especially if it relevant to the job you are applying for.

When I landed my first job in a hospital I put that I worked as my mother's and father's secretary in their clinic, but I left out that part that they are my parents and i was 15. It showed responsibility and that I have experience working in a clinical setting.

Source(s): CCA, CCS, RHIT

If the job you are trying to get on a cruise ship is "passenger cabin maid" then yes - I would put your cleaning experience down.

Put it on, I dont think its childish. I hope you get the job, good luck!

You should include it in your resume. It's part of your experience anyway.

I think yes. You should put it, someone should look at it as a plus, i did.

put it on the resume ! definetly