John B
John B asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

What are the chances of a (prime) Roy Jones Jr sweeping the Super Six tournament?

I was on another forum and Jones-Hopkins II was being discussed and someone briefly mentioned the Super Six tournament and how RJJ in his prime would handle the tournament with ease. I read the comment and thought, "yeah sweep, pfft". But throughout the day, I wondered....how would a prime RJJ at 168 fair against all the guys right now in the tournament. Would it be tough for Jones? Or would it be mildly competitive for him?

Favorite Answer

Roy Jones would have won the tournament with ease- if you take the Roy Jones of the James Toney fight and you put him in with any super middleweight of any era (remember super middleweight has not been around for that long), he would have won dominantly, and that includes Joe Calzaghe (who he lost to when he was a shell of himself).

It is actually arguable that a peaked Roy Jones in his prime could have defeated any fighter in between 160 and 175 pounds from any era in the history of the sport- I'm not saying he would have (he would have had trouble with guys like Sugar Ray Robinson, Marvin Hagler, Archie Moore, and Bob Foster), but it is debatable that the Roy of 1993 all the way up until the Roy of 2003 would have defeated all of the all-time greats in between middleweight and light heavyweight due to his speed and athleticism. Jones had more pure God-given, natural talent than any fighter in the history of the sport and his athleticism would have suited him in any sport- if he had put all of his effort into playing basketball like he did with boxing, I guarantee you that he would have been in the NBA. Jones in his prime could do it all- he had the power to literally knock someone out with his hands behind his back, he had more hand and foot speed than any fighter, he could body punch, he could headhunt, he could fight on the inside, and he knew how to control range and distance: the only thing that he was lacking in was defense but due to his supreme reflexes, he was able to get away with having his hands down for so long.

I'm not saying that none of the guys in the tournament would even be competitive with Roy but I just can't see any of them beating a peaked Roy Jones- Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham would be far too slow; Kessler is a good all-around fighter, but Jones was a great all-around fighter; Allan Green has not even really hit his peak yet and he is already 30 years old; Andre Dirrell and Andre Ward are a different case though because they are much younger than everyone else in the tournament at 26 and based on their most recent performances, it looks as though both have hit their peak and their stride. I would still favor Jones over both fighters but they would certainly give him the most trouble but I have to see more of them against top competition because each has only defeated 1 or at the most 2 top 10 super middleweights whereas by the time Jones was 26, he had defeated the likes of James Toney and Vinny Pazienza at 168 and Bernard Hopkins at 160. Since Ward will be facing Dirrell in group stage 3 of the tournament, I think the winner of that bout would give Jones the most trouble but I still think Jones beats him and everyone else in the tournament and wins the whole thing by going undefeated throughout the whole tournament.

No questions. All these guys are being exposed as good, but not elite talent. Roy Jones was far and above the best, no questions asked, elite fighter in his prime. Roy Jones could have thrown a shut out against most of these guys.

Is that a tournament? More like a Roy Jones Super Six Highlights.

Roy Jones Jr. in his prime would have beat Kessler, Abraham, Ward, Dirrell, Froch and Taylor all on the same night.

He would probably win against all the current fighters of the tournament .

Now if boxers like Dariusz Michalczewski,Sven Ottke,Nigel Benn and Joe Calzaghe participated as well and Roy Jones had to travel outside the US to fight them in their hometown, i don't think Roy Jones could have been so dominant or are you that confident that Jones could have beat them in Germany and UK?I honestly doubt it.

Ya'll must have forgot, Roy Jones number one through nine

and number ten will be blank

the experts need time to think (hmmmm)

but from what i saw,

Roy Jones number ten south paw.

Easy. Roy Cleans House.

Roy Jones Jr would destroy all these guys in his prime.

In my opinion Roy was at his best when he was at middleweight and if he would have moved up at that time to fight these guys who bigger and stronger like Froch or Abraham. i think Roys speed would give anyone in problems at that time but Roy would have got wore down late and possibly knocked out against Froch or Abraham.

The reason Roy seemed so good at light heavyweight in the mid to late 90s is because of the lack of competition.

He would destroy everyone in the super six if he was in his prime, no one could touch him back in the day he was pretty much unstoppable.

Barring a lucky knockout punch by Abraham, RRJ would likely win every round of every fight.