Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 10 years ago

Question about sleeping pills...?

....Im on sleeping pills called hydroxyzine which is generic for vistaril..Is this even a sleeping pill? I am looking it up online and it says its for other things..It says that its an antihistamine with sedative properties..I am taking 100MG capsules and ive taken them for about 4 days now..One before bedtime and it hasnt seemed to work yet..Im prefectly healthy...

DOes anyone know what is a good pill to take to help fall asleep..I dont want something way way strong since my husband works at night and my 3 year old is here and i need to be able to wake up if he does...I dont have an issue staying asleep once im asleep,only going to sleep.

Best Answer

Personal stories like that of "~Renay~" is nothing to base a decision on. Just because she had a problem with Ambien does not mean you will. And it is a very widely used drug and most people have no problems. I have taken Ambien on a few occasions without a problem.

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is NOT a hypnotic (sleeping pill). It is an antihistamine with some fairly unique properties that may be helpful for anxiety or insomnia. However it is not approved for treating insomnia, there is not really any scientific evidence it works, and it is not a recommended treatment. Unfortunately absolute paranoia about using controlled substances, especially for psychiatric problems, is leading doctors to use drugs that are not approved and are not proven to work. The original uses of Vistaril have been in treating pruritus (itching) and nausea. However it is also used (with one or more drugs) to treat migraine, other types of pain, or for sedation. Hydroxyzine potentiates the actions of drugs like opioids which is why it may be used in combination.

Drugs like Restoril (temazepam), Ambien (zolpidem), and Lunesta (eszopiclone) do have a small potential for abuse and are schedule IV controlled substances however abuse and/or addiction is almost unheard of in people without a personal history of substance abuse and according to most studies people with no personal or family history of substance abuse never develop a problem.

But it is drugs like Restoril, Ambien, and Lunesta that are APPROVED to treat insomnia and are highly effective. Lunesta has actually been approved for long term use and several studies have shown its effectiveness for 12+ months, similar data exists for Ambien but it is not approved for long term use and the amount of data is smaller.

100 mg is a standard dose (it is the largest dose made) of Vistaril. The maximum dose is 300-400 mg/day however that is intended to be divided into 3 or 4 doses. Even if it was reasonable to go higher it is VERY unlikely it will help. If 100 mg does nothing then 200 mg is not likely to help any more.

And hypnotics work or they don't, people take a pill and either sleep well or not. If it has been four days it is safe to say it won't work. Some medications take time to work but others, like hydroxyzine works in 15-30 min.

The most effective and safest drugs are Restoril (temazepam) which is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines or a "Z" drug Ambien/Ambien CR (zolpidem), Sonata (zaleplon), Imovane (zopiclone)- This drug in not available in The US, or Lunesta (eszopiclone).

Temazepam is the cheapest, Lunesta and Ambien CR are the most expensive.

I typically recommend people either use temazepam or Ambien (if you live in The US) or Imovane (if you don't live in The US). All the drugs I listed work for sleep onset insomnia however Ambien and Sonata are not good for sleep maintenance insomnia.

Ambien and Sonata work the fastest and if you really only need something strong to get you to sleep that rapidly wears off then Sonata (or to a slightly less extent Ambien) is the best option. You can have your doctor prescribe, for example, a 10 mg of Sonata and you can try 1/2 and if you need more you can take the whole pill. The maximum dose is 20 mg (which means taking two pills). Sonata has a very short half-life, just 1hr and since you need to be able to wake and be coherent for your child it is probably the best and I would ask your doctor about it however he may pick another medication.

Also I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT take any of the following drugs that, like Vistaril, are NOT approved for sleep, don't work well, have little evidence of efficacy and they often have very serious risks, far worse than the risks from Vistaril or hypnotics :

Desyrel (trazodone)- an antidepressant

Seroquel (quetiapine)- an antipsychotic with very serious potential side effects (permanent diabetes, movement disorders)

Elavil (amitriptyline)- an antidepressant

Remeron (mirtazapine)- an antidepressant

These drugs are fine in treating something but NOT sleep.

Source(s): I am a medical student (M.D., C.M.) at a university in Montréal, QC, Canada for psychiatry and internal medicine. I have a Hons. BSc in pharmacology and I have interned with two psychiatrists and one neurologist. I have also worked as a pharmacy assistant.

1

Source(s): Insomnia Treatment http://renditl.info/StopInsomniaForEver
  • gamage

Hydroxyzine For Sleep

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Sedating antihistamines are often used as a mild sleep aid.

Try following good sleep hygiene rules such as:

always getting up and going to bed at the same time

never taking naps in the day

not eating late at night

taking exercise, but not late in the evening

keeping the bedroom for sleeping only, no tv etc

making sure the room is dark, quiet, and not too hot

If you are still experiencing problems getting to sleep then your doctor can prescribe you short-acting sleeping pills, but this is only a temporary solution and they should not be prescribed on a long term basis.

Source(s): I'm a pharmacy student

It's an antihistamine you're taking, which makes some people drowsy, and it has some anti-anxiety effects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyzine

Usually benadryl, Diphenhydramine, is the anti-histamine used in the smallest dose to make people drowsy. It's in NiQuill for example. Not a good idea forever.

You have some good suggestions already,

but if you're upset about something, no drug is going to put you to sleep unless it's a narcotic.

The best approach to regulate your sleep cycle is to get plenty of exercise in the day, walk 15-30 minutes at least, out doors is best,

if you don't go outdoors get a vitamin D source (cod liver oil or vitamin pill)

drink plenty of water, (8 glasses)

write in a diary, talk about what's bothering you,

and then turn off the lights at night! if you don't get enough dark you won't produce melatonin, a normal sleep compound. People can't stay in the light all the time without getting disruptions in sleep cycles.

don't think about upsetting things right before bed. read, do something relaxing.

develop a routine, hot herbal teas are good... 'now I lay me down to sleep..."

http://www.publicdoman.com/Sleep.html

p.s. I agree with Renay about ambien, the side-effect is described by the company as "abnormal thinking and behavior patterns". I've seen patients who take it get very aggressive.

Source(s): over 30 years research and teaching human nutrition

Insomnia is a sleeping disorder characterized by persistent difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep despite the opportunity. Insomniacs have been known to complain about being unable to close their eyes or "rest their mind" for more than a few minutes at a time. Insomnia is a common problem that may be temporary or chronic. Insomnia and changes of agingInsomnia becomes more prevalent with age. Insomnia can occur in people of all ages. Insomnia is most common among women and older adults.

Good source for insomnia https://wikimedia.im/Insomnia-Treatment

Stop taking it.

Have you been lying awake and not going to sleep at night? There could be several reasons why this is happening, and most of them won't cost any money to remedy. Our normal body rhythms say that when the light goes out (or the sun sets), it's time to put our heads down and go to sleep. We've learned to stay awake for a few hours in the evening by lighting candles or inventing electricity and using that to power our lighting fixtures, but by 9 or 10pm your body begins to naturally tell you its time for bed.

If you can incorporate a gradual dimming of lights into the couple of hours before you go to bed, then the body will be able to wind down naturally. Do not turn on the TV in your bedroom as the light makes us think that the sun has come up already. Also, if you can read a non-stimulating book it will calm your mind. Something like a horror novel or a murder mystery is not a good choice - the former could give you nightmares and the latter will have you thinking too much - trying to solve the mystery.

Make the bedroom as quiet as possible - you can mask some noise with other, more soothing sounds like a rainfall or forest waterfall. A vaporizer can be used to extract the essential oils from herbs like chamomile flowers which have long been used as a sleeping aid and relaxant. Do not eat at least two hours before going to bed, and don't eat spicy food if it affects you, as you don't want to feel like your stomach is practicing a Bollywood or a Latin dance.

The temperature of your sleeping room is critical. About seventy degrees works good for most people, maybe even a few degrees lower. How often have you woken up or found it hard to get to sleep because your spouse likes a pile of blankets on top of them and the heat makes you feel like you’re in the Sahara, and wakes you up in the middle of the night?

Start cool and stay cool - set your thermostat to a comfortable zone and throw back the covers except for a sheet. Try and wear a loose cotton nightshirt to bed. If you are a diabetic, wear socks. Cold feet in a diabetic often occurs because of poor circulation, and you don't want to stretch out and make your spouse fly out of the bed in shock because of those ice blocks you call your feet! Using your herbal vaporizer, like the Volcano Vaporizer is one of the best NATURAL sleep aids available.

You’re on your way to get your sleep (and your life) back… - http://sleeptracks.info/your-life-back-110.html

This program can help you reboot your brain and beat insomnia.

Yes, the Free “7 Mistakes” Sleep Guide provides extremely valuable information that can truly change how you sleep…

You’ll discover on this page:

1. You can escape from that vicious circle. Insomnia is NOT something you need to “learn to live with” — even if you have been plagued by poor sleep for years.

2. A few “common sense” (but often counter-intuitive) changes, along with cutting-edge brain technology, can be all you need to reboot your brain and restore your body’s innate ability to sleep naturally.

3. All it takes is the desire to get your life back on track, and let the Sleep­Tracks Program work for you.

Discover Right Now - http://sleeptracks.info/your-life-back-110.html

This health-first program will help you escape insomnia’s vicious circle

Source(s): Take control over your sleep and uncover how sleep actually works - http://sleeptracks.info/your-life-back-110.html

I think you can survive two days without any sleep, then you will feel like a zombie. Unfortunately, I know quite good how does it feel to have a whole night withotu sleep...What saved my life was this stuff my doctor told me about - https://tinyurl.im/aHLkF You can even get a sample for free there.