Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Where can one find a present-day socialist nation?

I thought that it would be North Korea or Cuba or China or Viet Nam or Laos, but those are communist, not socialist nations.

I took a look at what Libya is called and it has the name "socialist" in it, but as far as I know not all things are under government control. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Libya features private enterprise.

I took a look at Europe, particularly Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, Britain and France, but came up emptyhanded because those nations are all designated free market, capitalistic as they permit and have multiple manifestations of private enterprise, such as private health care, private schools, property ownership, etc, however, they do feature very high taxes to pay for the social services that we also have in the United States, such as K-12 education, defense, libraries, police, fire departments and in their case, health care, but in Germany it's a mix of private and public funding, as it is in France, which has private insurance, as do Britain and several other nations.

I am confused. Everyone keeps talking to me about the socialist world, but I am not able to find a socialist nation, just a handful of communist nations and free-market, capitalist nations, but ones with advanced infrastructure in order to maintain a productive safe, educated and healthy population, i.e., health care, education, police protection, national defense so as to keep the population working and not sick, in danger and uneducated. Where are the socialist nations?

Doesn't Israel have several private corporations and private universities? I guess it's not socialist although the Kibbutz system was based on socialism, but that was not the law of the land and those are microcosmic societies within Israel.

Favorite Answer

I would suggest refraining from over-analyzing so you can see the trees for the forest. Start here:

so·cial·ism   /ˈsoʊʃəˌlɪzəm/ Show Spelled[soh-shuh-liz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun

1.a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.

...Which definition loosely characterizes where ownership and control might be centered. Hence, the tagging of a socialist country lies in the missions of its organizations. If educated in US business schools, one may have been force-fed the belief that business must operate under missions "to earn profit." OK, fine. So, those are capitalist organizations.

Socialist organizations subordinate profit for the primary mission "to benefit society" - which does nothing to demonize profit. See following for the model socialist nation:

The perpetual game (not an end game) of liberalism can be exemplified nearly perfectly with the best government in the world - in Japan, where I have lived for over 15 years. Far freer, far more economically blessed, and far safer, Japan is the model you seek with your question.

I do, however, get weary of answering questions such as yours again and again - so I kindly ask that you retain the below data for your files.

By the way, Japan's is a socialist system. Cooperative corporatism is the method of economy, and there are no rich factions controlling corporations (hence, the rich provide no jobs here).

- free and open national and local elections which are very competitive across several parties, ruling party provides prime minister in the Diet

- national health care, full coverage at $125 per month (upper middle class income level compared to US), no rejections

- 3%-5% unemployment ongoing, during most recent US-caused recession maximum at 5.7% - http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/Unemploy...

- under 10% personal income taxes

- 40% corporate income taxes

- 22,000 licensed lawyers as a cap with little to nothing to do (0.01% of population) (while US 1.2 million lawyers or 0.4% of population) – people solve their own problems rather than working-class leeching courts

- public transportation provided at no charge to all workers – paid by employing companies

- oligopolized, inter-cooperative banks operating under missions “to benefit society” rather than “to earn profit” (no working class gouging ATM fees) (no checking accounts to gouge workers) (low interest and generous forbearance)

- setting 10% product price mark-up typically across-the-board by sellers (voluntary based on honor and regard), heedless of fluctuations in demand – effectively discourages consumer price gouging

- subsidized staple food products to the end consumer, regulating ongoing fair pricing

- no abusive sin taxes

- most equitable wage distribution in the world (a. of course extracts threat of executive thievery/ b. worst is the US and UK)

- lowest crime rate in the world (due to no rich class oppression) (AND only 1.8 police per 1000 people vs. 2.85 per 1000 in the US)

- even the very, very few homeless in Japan WILL NOT beg – perfectly debunks vacuous accusations that socialism creates dependency, and rather displays that socialism heightens personal honor - http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090117a...

- free to carry a beer into a theatre or onto a train (just threw that in to exhibit daily freedom from fascist abuse) (Why can we do this? Because competition is not a forced philosophy here. The theatre doesn’t force their product down my throat, nor get their panties in any wad over what I do. I’m FREE here.)

And here's the clincher:

- $28 trillion in national savings ($13 trillion of which held by households)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UM6BU00&...

So, it's not an end in any measure, as this society continues its improvements and perfections daily and annually. Therefore, it's perpetuity - or an "organism" which grows and develops.

Have a nice day!

[Some talk about high public debt in Japan, which is a reality due only to the low tax rates as listed above, however - Japan's public debt is written only (most nearly only) to its own public. That is, Japan owes its public debt to itself: http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/economics/japane...

• The term "socialist nation" is in itself a contradiction and socialism and communism are the same thing:

A stateless, borderless, classless, moneyless, and leaderless global democratic society where the means of production is owned commonly by the people.

A society where the state has varying degrees of control or ownership is still a form of capitalism. In the case of North Korea, the Soviet Union, Cuba, Vietnam, Laos, China and so on, it was/is State Capitalism. In the case of Scandinavian and other European countries this exists in a lesser degree. America has aspects of State Capitalism, too, and has had them from the beginning.

There are no "socialist" or "communist" nations, and there never have been.

The only way to achieve Socialism(Communism) is a global democratic revolution.

Singapore is a good example of a socialist nation; the government owns majority stock in most utilities, corporations, and health services, etc. and it shows; they have the highest income on earth, and one of the highest qualities of life on earth as well.

Brazil is just beginning to make the transition to socialism as well, and it is showing signs of working as well; the economy is growing at 10% a year, and may surpass China by 2050 as the world's 2nd most powerful economy.

The whole Socialist threat is intended to prey on feeble minded people and their fears of things that they do not understand. My husband worked for Ericsson and most of my Friends are Swedes and they are among the most descent and intelligent people I have ever met even though they came from a country that has many socialist policies.

In denmark Universities are free and they give you 3,000 dollars a semeaster

You left out Israel?

Is that because it doesn't fit in your rantings?

Prepare for the assault of "We almost in socialist nation- cuz Barack be a socialist- he takin away our gun" that you are about to receive...

not the US

hopefully the US sooner than later.