Brad
Brad asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Would you vote for a ticket of Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater Jr. in 2012?

The last time the Republican Party ran a ticket of 2 candidates who were serious about reversing the growth of government was 1964 when Barry Goldwater Sr. was their nominee for the presidency (Ronald Reagan's running mate in both 1980 and 1984 was George H.W. Bush, a Rockefeller Republican). If Ron Paul were to gain the nomination in 2012, wouldn't it be great symbolism if he chose Barry Goldwater Jr. as his running mate?

The younger Goldwater campaigned for Paul in New Hampshire in 2008. A group of people unconnected with either Congressman Paul or former Congressman Goldwater placed a ticket of the 2 of them on the ballot for the 2008 general election in Louisiana, which finished 3rd in that state.

If the GOP were to nominate a Paul/Goldwater ticket to run against Obama and Biden in 2012, who would you vote for? Wouldn't it be nice to have a choice, not an echo, for once?

Favorite Answer

Yes, I would vote for Ron Paul "IF" he has an actual chance of winning. During the '60's, Goldwater was very conservative. But just before he died, he was becoming a liberal. If Goldwater Jr. was to have the same beliefs his father did before he died, no, I wouldn't vote for him.

• Brian

The other answers here highlight the problem with American politics... people vote based on age, appearance, etc. instead of taking the time to learn the issues and understand logical solutions.

To answer your question, yes I would vote for a Ron Paul ticket (doesn't matter to me if Goldwater is on or not). Ron Paul is the ONLY politician that has a reasonable solution to the problems we are facing.

he's a ultimate guy and he's inspiring an entire era. i think of we can assume to confirm extra "Ron Paul Republicans" arising. And in case you desire to confirm extra applicants that use the form, effortless experience and compassion, visit the marketing campaign for Liberty. He replaced into for sure the winner (over 30% of the vote) interior the debates. As an financial student and fiscal coverage expert AND as a guy of super integrity, he'd be an superb selection for president.

• No, but if Rand Paul and B Goldwater II were to run on the Libertarian ticket I would vote for them. But if they run on a Republican ticket, forget it.

Source(s): Former Republican 1971-2003 Independent

You guys have the same problem we have. In order to run, you need money, thus you can't have people running with complicated, interesting or wacky ideas. The candidate must look good on TV, talk in sound bytes, and sound like a presidential candidate. To be a Republican, you must also be Christian. And probably that goes for the Democrats as well. You must talk in general about themes and be entertaining. Being an actor can help, or a football star.

Among those candidates, I have never heard a Republican say he will cut in half the defense budget, or cut in half income security. Those are really the two big ticket items to cut the budget. If you cut social security and/or medicaid, you will have to cut the taxes that go into those items and thus you will have no effect on the deficit. Also, those items are simply transfers that do little to distort the economy.

I'm afraid that people have no idea to fix the deficit we need to raise taxes. Eventually when taxes are paid we lower them but this is the only way. Either way Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater are/were both jokes.

• Power

I love Obama/Biden but if you ask just republicans I think you will find they need a dumb, young chick in there. McCain was not attractive enough for the party to come together & 2 men who will be 73 Goldwater & Paul will be in his late 70's are just too damn old. Sorry, but face reality we changed as we are different ages. Under the age of 5 it is not appropriate for us to go out into the world on our own, we need adult supervision. Then from 5-12 we are cared for by adults. This starts to change & we become more independent and age 13-16 are different. Then at 16 many people are driving & lot so problems come up cause at that age people are no always ready to have as much freedom as the have...think about it, at age 30 most people are pretty well on their own and at 30-70 people take good care of themselves. But go visit a nursing home & ask people to raise their hands if they are 70-75 then ask them to raise their hands if they are 75-80 you will see a difference often. I don't want a 10 year watching my 2 year old child & I don't want a 75 year old running my country. Learn about what happens to people when they are at that age. It is shocking that people ignore this.

i would rather vote Ron Paul/ Jeff Flake

• Absolutely!

True, real conservatives and true Patriots.

• R J

Why not change you could believe in unfortunately they would bear the burnt of both parties.