Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 10 years ago

Oil Painting Question?

Do i paint and leave space for where the different colors are suppose to be, or do i first make a layer on the whole canvas with one color, then go and put the other colors above the previous paint (after it dries)?

How is the correct way to oil paint?

Favorite Answer

Oil paint is semi-translucent. You have to do something called "underpainting" first, where you put down the darkest shades, usually using just one color (i use burnt umber or ultramarine depending on whether the overall color temperature of the painting will be warm or cool). After that dries, you start building layers over the underpainting. I usually start with thin washes for the middle-value colors (so you can see the underpainting) and then build layers of shadow and highlight on top. I know people who mask areas that will be pure white or very light so that the canvas shows through, but I prefer to just paint back over that with the highlight color. Because of the translucent nature of oil paint, it's all about layering colors. Always let the paint dry completely between layers. To reduce drying time, I thin my colors with a pretty good amount of turpentine and I often use a brush dipped in plain linseed oil to loosen the paint even more and push it around on the surface.

Because I use such thin paint when I'm building up the layers, I also use fine tooth illustration board attached to foamcore with thinned rubber cement. Use a rolling pin to push all the air bubbles out from between the paper and foamcore. Then mask 1/2" around the edges with artists' masking tape. After it's all glued and taped, I cover the board with three coats of a gesso/water mixture. I let each coat dry completely and sand it with a super fine piece of sandpaper before applying the next coat. This makes a super smooth painting surface for heavily thinned oils. It's cheaper than canvas, easier to frame, and weighs considerably less. You can take the masking tape off the edges when you're finished to get a nice smooth framing line, just make sure you use a craft knife to carefully score the edge of the tape before you try to pull it off.

It's only a topic of private option. You can do whatever in acrylics that you'll be able to do with watercolors, and one of the vital matters you'll be able to do with oil portray. The one truly expertise to grease portray is that you'll be able to make thinner and thinner sun shades of a colour so as to add a semi-obvious end result to a painted item. In acrylics this are not able to be performed, as a thinner acrylic is not going to adhere to a thicker acrylic beneath it. Cleaning up with so much oil paints calls for very poisonous chemical compounds. However there are actually soy situated oil paints that may be wiped clean up with cleaning soap and water. Have amusing portray!

Have you ever watched Bob Ross paint? He does a show for PBS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MghiBW3r65M

Youtube thumbnail