My roommate is slowly killing his pet turtle and I want to save it. what should I say to him?

My college roommate has a pet turtle that he doesn't take care of. I have never seen him feed it and I had to start giving it food. The turtle is a swimming turtle who needs running water in his tank.. my roommate has one inch of water in the tank and nothing else. The water is so bad that sometimes you... show more My college roommate has a pet turtle that he doesn't take care of. I have never seen him feed it and I had to start giving it food. The turtle is a swimming turtle who needs running water in his tank.. my roommate has one inch of water in the tank and nothing else. The water is so bad that sometimes you can't see the turtle due to the amount of algae. The turtle actually has stuff growing on its shell. I want to give the turtle to my girlfriend who is thinking about getting one anyway. I am unsure about if that is right or what I would say or what else to do. any suggestions?