RAY asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Why is there never any mention on television of geothermal electricity production?

I now the National Renewable Energy Laboratory has done the Homework on this, It works it is clean, you could make money selling it, so whats the problem?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

WESTINGHOUSE / CBS INC.

Westinghouse Electric Company, part of the Nuclear Utilities Business Group of British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL)

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000 election campaign)

Television Holdings:

* NBC: includes 13 stations, 28% of US households.

* NBC Network News: The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet the Press, Dateline NBC, NBC News at Sunrise.

* CNBC business television; MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned by NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).

The "MS" in MSNBC

means microsoft

The same Microsoft that donated 2.4 million to get GW bush elected.

Other Holdings:

* GE Consumer Electronics.

* GE Power Systems: produces turbines for nuclear reactors and power plants.

* GE Plastics: produces military hardware and nuclear power equipment.

* GE Transportation Systems: runs diesel and electric trains.

==================================================

Gates Wants Nuclear Power Plant

• 1 decade ago

That is a good question. The problem with Geothermal energy is that you cannot produce electricity everywhere with it. In the U.S., you can only really produce it on the west coast and Alaska.

Another issue is that there is induced seismic activity when drilling for geothermal plants. It is possible that these issues could be a reason that it is not as big as other renewables.

I personally think a big reason is that it is more easy for people to see how power is made from solar and wind. Asking the masses to understand the concept of geothermal would be harder I suppose.

• RossK
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There are companies already exploiting geothermal energy. I live in Fairbanks Alaska and there is currently at least one practical geothermal power plant in production and quite a number of projects being planned. The link below is a resort near Fairbanks powered by a geothermal power plant. Iceland generates over 53% of all of it's energy with geothermal power plants.

The chemistry of steam varies considerably depending on the site. It can be corrosive as well as quickly clog plumbing with calcium salts. In a very few instances there apparently can be tectonic consequences but in most locales it is generally considered benign.

I am an electrical power engineer and I have sat in seminars facilitated by some of leading manufacturer's of geothermal power plants as well as government energy consortiums who are researching the potentialities.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The people who have it take it for granted. The people who've recently tried to drill down and inject water into fractures in the deep rocks have been accused of causing earthquakes, so they're basically stuck until they can find a way that's feasible to do it without the legal/financial risks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.