Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 10 years ago

Do I have yeast infection?

Alright, so my period is going on right now. And I've been taking antibiotics for acne treatment. Today it was itchy down there and I have dark discharge. But nothing smelly or bad. It's just pretty itchy. I'm 13 and I haven't been sexually active of course. I have changed to new pads. Could that be it?

Does time cure yeast infection? And how would I tell my mom?

Best Answer

ANTIBIOTIC USAGE CAUSES YEAST INFECTIONS--( I KNOW ITS RETARTED--BUT ITS TRUE)

Yeast is a fungus scientifically referred to as Candida. The specific type of fungus most commonly responsible for vaginitis is Candida albicans. Yeast is commonly present on normal human skin and in areas of moisture, such as the mouth and vagina. In fact, it is estimated that between 20%-50% of healthy women normally carry yeast in the vaginal area.

What is vaginitis?

Vaginitis is inflammation of the vagina. Vaginitis is very common and is reported by as many as 75% of women at some point in their lives. Vaginitis can be caused by a number of infections, including bacteria (such as Gardnerella and gonorrhea), protozoans (such as trichomonas), and yeast (Candida). Vaginal yeast infection, which is the most common form of vaginitis, is often referred to as vaginal Candidiasis.

What is vulvitis?

Vulvitis is inflammation of the external genital organs of the female (the vulva). The vulva includes the labia, clitoris, and entrance to the vagina (the vestibule of the vagina). An inflammation of the vulva is referred to as vulvitis. Vulvitis, like vaginitis, may be caused by a number of different infections. Because the vulva is also often inflamed when there is inflammation of the vagina, vaginitis is sometimes referred to as vulvovaginitis.

What causes vaginal yeast infections?

Vaginal yeast infections occur when new yeast is introduced into the vaginal area, or when there is an increase in the quantity of yeast already present in the vagina relative to the quantity of normal bacteria. For example, when the normal, protective bacteria are eradicated by antibiotics (taken to treat a urinary tract, respiratory, or other types of infection) or by immunosuppressive drugs, the yeast can multiply, invade tissues, and cause irritation of the lining of the vagina (vaginitis).

Vaginal yeast infections can also occur as a result of injury to the inner vagina, such as after chemotherapy. Also, women with suppressed immune systems (for example, those taking cortisone-related medications such as prednisone) develop vaginal yeast infections more frequently than women with normal immunity. Other conditions that may predispose women to developing vaginal yeast infections include diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, and taking oral contraceptives. The use of douches or perfumed vaginal hygiene sprays may also increase a woman's risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection.

A vaginal yeast infection is not considered to be a sexually transmitted infection (STD), since Candida may be present in the normal vagina, and the condition does occur in celibate women. However, it is possible for men to develop symptoms of skin irritation of the penis from a yeast infection after sexual intercourse with an infected partner.

TIME DOES NOT CURE IT. just talk to ur mom. be open with her( dont forget that she was YOU when she was ur age)

Basically the reason you have a yeast infection is because there's an imbalance in your body. A healthy person has a balance between the yeast in their body and the good bacteria in their body.

Too much yeast, you have a yeast infection. Too much bacteria, you have a bacterial infection.

So, when you have a yeast infection you essentially have too much yeast in your body relative to the good bacteria. The natural way to treat it and bring back that balance is to starve the yeast and introduce more good bacteria into your body.

Oh and BTW - That's why you often get relief from using the over the counter meds temporarily, and then the yeast infection comes back. The creams aren't changing the source of the problem. They are just killing the yeast they come in contact with, and not balancing the yeast/bacteria in your body and actually sometimes end up making things a lot worse.

Oh BTW2 - That's also why many times you'll get a yeast infection after using antibiotics. Antibiotics kill all the bacteria in your body, the good and the bad. When that happens the balance between the yeast and good bacteria is off, and once again and you get a yeast infection.

Things you can add to your diet (to help promote good bacteria) are live yogurt cultures (or take Acidophilus), plenty of water, fresh vegetables, lots of protein rich foods, whey protein, raw garlic, nuts, seeds, oils, millet, rice and oat brans

Things you should remove from your diet (to starve the yeast) are all sodas, sugars, fruit, fermented foods, foods containing white flour, alcohol (especially beer), antacids and any product that has yeast or mold

Changing your diet will definitely get you on the road to balancing the yeast and good bacteria, but what I would also recommend is to use a homeopathic solution to help naturally speed up the process.

I always feel if there's a natural way to do something, then it's best to avoid the chemicals. I would look for an natural product, that can be taken orally to promote regrowth of the good bacteria in your body.

There are a few out there, I think they are probably all pretty good. One that I have used and was very effective for me was is yeastrol.

Best of Luck!

Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

I added the link I used if you are interested in finding out more.

I'm pretty sure I just posted to answer a question similar to this that you also posted, but just in case here's the answer again.

It is common for women to develop yeast infections as a result of taking antibiotics.There is an over the counter test you can use to determine if you have an infection. It is the Vagisil pH Testing Kit. In about 2 minutes, you'll know if you have an infection and whether or not problem is bacteria or yeast (both require different treatments). It's a highly accurate test.

http://www.vagisilkit.com/kit2/how.shtml…

If you do have an infection, the best bet would be to talk to you mom and get her to schedule a visit to the doctor. In the future, if you have to take an antibiotic I would recommend eating a cup of yogurt a day for the duration of the antibiotic treatment. If you don't like yogurt, you could also get acidophilus in the vitamin section and take that as a supplement with your antibiotic. Both will help prevent the antibiotics from triggering a yeast infection.

Source(s): Pharmacy Technician and Intern. Also Pharmacy school student.

No time does not cure the yeast infection!! The fact that you are on antibiotics tells me that you do have one. Antibiotics kills off a lot of the good bacteria in your body and that is how some women end up with a yeast infection while on antibiotics. Your itch down there is only going to get worse. It's extremely easy to treat, just head off to your nearest drug store and speak to the pharmacist there about the best treatment for you! It's very easily treated and the great thing is you don't need a prescription. Sexual activity is nothing to do with it. It's common for girls and women to get yeast infections, it's no big deal at all. I had my first one at about your age too, and I freaked out!! Talk to your mum and tell her, as she's probably had several herself over the years, she'll take you to get the treatment :)

Source(s): Registered Nurse

2

Source(s): Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast - http://YeastCure.trustdd.com/?clgt

Unique Yeast Infection System : http://YeastCured.com/

Type 2 diabetes, usually referred to as adult onset, is when your body produces insulin but can not use it properly. This type can be treated successfully with the right diet and exercise in most circumstances. Read here https://tr.im/dwJzV

If blood sugars are not kept under control at some point insulin will probably be integrated / oral medications are also available. People with diabetes can live long, happy lives but must be diligent in their care and make sure you see your endocrinologist on a regular basis.