MarkS
Lv 4
MarkS asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do some people not want to adopt black dogs?

Some people say that some people don't want to adopt black dogs. Why?!?!? Is there a reason?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It isn't unique coloring or it shows up on furniture too much

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I personally love black dogs (black labs are the most beautiful dogs!) but I think some people just associate them with danger or aggression because the most common black breeds are Rottweilers and Dobermans. But no dog is naturally aggressive, and that's just a misperception on the part of people who don't understand the species.

• 1 decade ago

no there isn't a reason as some people don't like them as for some stupid reason like they are hard to find if you are looking for them out side and its dark at the time but people like different types of dog and most people attend to adopt black dogs as i adopted a black and wight bordercollie

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know exactly the reason, i think it more common black dog syndrome in america then australia, as i've seen plenty of black dogs find there forever home

It the breeds that are considered dangerous that are the last to be adopted here

Such as Rottweiler, Dobermans, Akitas, Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Some reasons why black dogs maybe harder to rehome

Did You Know: We are guessing that the general public is not aware of how doomed black dogs are when they are brought to a pound because black dogs, particularly black labs or lab mixes, are euthanized at a horrifying rate at many pounds & shelters because people pass them up for lighter colored dogs. If you are thinking about adopting a dog please don't overlook black dogs because they are just as loving & wonderful as lighter colored dogs!

id You Know: We are guessing that the general public is not aware of how doomed black dogs are when they are brought to a pound because black dogs, particularly black labs or lab mixes, are euthanized at a horrifying rate at many pounds & shelters because people pass them up for lighter colored dogs. If you are thinking about adopting a dog please don't overlook black dogs because they are just as loving & wonderful as lighter colored dogs! Martin County Animal Shelter,

"URGENT, URGENT, URGENT" We always have several really nice black dogs here that desperately need a home! Black dogs are often the last to adopt out, for whatever the reason, whether it's because they don't photograph as well, or people think they look meaner, etc. But they are just as sweet on the inside and are also strikingly beautiful on the outside with their shiny black coats. Please take a moment to look at these dogs - they need a loving home too! Before it's too late.

black is Beautiful:

A Celebration of Dark Dogs

Celebrate Black Dogs and Support the SPCA

If you have a black dog…or know someone who does…there’s a new book just for you. Black is Beautiful: A Celebration of Dark Dogs is a photographic tribute to America’s least appreciated canines by writer and photographer Pam Townsend. To know more about the book and to receive one as a "Thank You" visit:

Black dogs are commonly the last, if at all, to be adopted. Destined for death in many shelters they are passed up for whatever the reason:

1) Harmful Superstitions: Black dogs in folklore

2) Negative Labels: Transcending the black dog: living with depression

3) Fear: What makes a dog aggressive or dangerous. Is it their color?

4) Just too ordinary:

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MUMNY
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Some people are superstitious...they think that black dogs are mean-spirited, which of course, could not be furthest from the truth!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i was wondering the same thing but iw as thinking either racism or some religion they might think a blog dog is an evil spirit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is mostly just their opinion. we have a black dog and she is the sweetest a dog can get. it is probably just because they think the color will matter in personality. but it wont, its how you train them.

• 1 decade ago

Black dogs are harder to read. They say that "the eyes are the windows to the soul" and being all black with very dark eyes makes it difficult to see them. Dobes and rotties have the tan markings and that makes it easier to read them.

• Nicky.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Maybe they prefer a different color?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they look scary..and their white eyes are brighter......sad=(

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.