Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 10 years ago

"Fridge magnets cause cancer", RIDICULOUS, how can I explain my mother this is a lame hoax?

She got a lame chain letter about "Princeton science students (and teachers) proving cancer caused by the fridge magnets"

group 1 of mice ate food stored in a fridge

group 2 ate food from the same fridge´s model but it had a bunch of decorative magnets on the door

"all the group 2 mice developed cancer" and it says the electricity of the fridge increased the electromagnetic force of the magnets causing this "waves" or whatever to get strong enough to alter the food stored inside.

----------My opinion (please comment)

1- ANY FRIDGE has magnetic edges all over the door to remain closed (so forget the small ones)

2- the door has thick isolation ... I really doubt any strong magnet can traverse the door and affect something on the inside

3- the electrical power supply of the fridge cant affect the little magnets , (our fridge, by the way has other material on the outside..more plastic like but somehow the magnets still glue on it)

4- if this was a single bit true ...then why on earth are magnets officially banned? and why on earth havent the students got their own tv show and nobel price? (and be declared saviours of the universe)

-----------------

Any other suggestios?

Can you please gimme some scientific proof that explains that those small fridge magnets are not damaging the food.

--------------------

PS I know and Ive read scientific and medical professional documents regarding dangers of people with pacemakers that get close to magnets http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/ped...

THANKS

Please don´t SPAM.

Answer ONLY if you can share some knowledge that clarifies my doubts

thanks

Favorite Answer

1. many things on the internet are not true, especially chain letters.

2. there are magnets all over in our lives, inthe speakers of radios and other tings that produce music, in the earpiece of a phone, in all motors from mixers to washing machines and vacuums, etc

3. some people wear magnetic beads for health.

4. magnetism does not effect food, magnetism could not extend into a refrigerator, refrigerators have a magnet in the cooling motor fan of the compressor

5. magnets are used to produce our electricity, but they do not make waves.

6. magnetic force field decreases by the square of the distance, and of course the size

People make up things all the time, and forwarding them makes just more bad information on the air.

• hribar

Decorative Magnets

• Erika

i'm no longer a determine yet my sis in regulation grew to become into constantly criticised for smacking her little ones while they have been youthful. however the loopy factor is, her little ones at the instant are 4 and 7 and the main polite, nicely rounded little ones you are able to desire to ask for. She purely has to assert 'quit that' and that they do, and that they constantly say please and thank you. My neices are such stunning little ones! however the loopy factor is, my different sis in regulation who criticises people who smack their little ones has the main naughty little ones in the international and can't administration them because of the fact she under no circumstances smacked them or disciplined them while they have been youthful. in the final week on my own my 2 nephews have just about ended up in A&E by using struggling with, referred to as my fiance a d*ckhead (it fairly is the three 12 months previous!) and shrink her eye by applying punching her in the face because of the fact she advised them they could no longer have a toy they needed in a save because of the fact she'd purely introduced him one like 10 minutes in the past. they are so naughty and have not have been given any admire for my sis in regulation. i know some human beings say smacking is undesirable, besides the shown fact that it purely takes a smack on the bum (no longer stressful) for them to nicely known to no longer do it returned. for my section that's lots extra powerful than having naughty gobby little ones for all times!

That if it was true then the motor from the washing machine would make her clother radio active and kill her. Is she still alive? Yes? Do you use a washing machine? Yes? There, proven its fine.

Source(s): My Brain =P

Explain to her about lame chain letters. Look it up on Snopes.com and get her to read what you find.