Seniors: Can you please look at this list of actresses and tell me who you remember?

I'm a teenager, but I love watching classic films.. please make any comments you have about these people or their films, we want to keep their memory alive!!

Cyd Charisse

Lana Turner

Lena Horne

Doris Day

Audrey Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

Ginger Rogers

Joan Fontaine

Olivia de Havilland

Jane Powell

Ann Miller

Rita Hayworth

Joan Woodward

Gene Tierney

Judy Garland

Kim Novak

Grace Kelly

Greta Garbo

Bette Davis

Myrna Loy

Marilyn Monroe

Deborah Kerr

Donna Reed

Rosalind Russell

Jane Russell

June Allyson

Ann Sothern

Vivien Leigh

Margaret Sullavan

Maureen O'Hara

Vera Ellen

Leslie Caron

Teresa Wright

Ava Gardner

Shirley Temple

Elizabeth Taylor

June Haver

Susan Hayward

Betty Grable

Betty Hutton

Paulette Goddard

Lucille Ball

Gale Storm

Natalie Wood

Janet Leigh

Thanks! Add any more if you see fit.

Favorite Answer

Great list! I remember them all. Here are a few observations:

Cyd Charisse danced beautifully with Gene Kelly in one of the most perfect Hollywood musicals ever made, "Singin' in the Rain." (Yes, my icon is Gene worshipping Cyd.)

When I was a teenager I had a big crush on Audrey Hepburn, mostly because of a nice romantic comedy she did with Albert Finney called "Two For the Road" which came out around the time I was going through puberty. I kinew that Audrey was older than I was, but I hoped that maybe Albert would get lost and Audrey would wait for me to somehow grow up and get to be the right age for her.

Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire were really the hardest working people in the history of the movies. They were as serious about what they did as athletes, and although they tried to make their dances look effortless, you could tell, and appreciate, how much effort it took if you looked closely.

In my opinion, no performer ever devoted herself to her art as much as Judy Garland did. She was like a goddess of Show Biz. To me it is actually terrifying to consider how willing she was to sacrifice her life to make her audiences happy. (There's a biography of her that was published within the past few years called "Get Happy" that I recommend.)

Of the many memories I have of Marylin Monroe, my favorite is of her singing "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

Betty Davis was always a first-rate star, but I think her best effort was in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane," when she performed as an actress very much like herself in old age. In other words, she was playing herself. A number of other actors and actresses over the years have acquired enough fame to get a chance to do this kind of thing, and they are all to be commended. To play "yourself" in decline requires a lot of honesty and insight and courage. But I don't think anyone did it better than Bette did.

I see that hardly any of the other respondents remember Vera Ellen, but I remember her well. She was the love interest in one of the old Marx Brothers movies that was called "Love Happy" in which she did a hilarious song-and-dance number called "Who Stole the Jam?" in which she performs as a 1940s housewife and mom who slaps and punches and strangles her recalcitrant children (stuffed life-size dolls). The number is very funny although, sadly I think, it would not be possible to restage it today because it depicts "abuse." Very incorrect.

Cyd Charisse

Lana Turner

Lena Horne

Doris Day

Audrey Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

Ginger Rogers

Joan Fontaine

Jane Powell

Ann Miller

Rita Hayworth

Joan Woodward

Judy Garland

Kim Novak

Grace Kelly

Greta Garbo

Bette Davis

Marilyn Monroe

Donna Reed

Rosalind Russell

Jane Russell

June Allyson

Ann Sothern

Vivien Leigh

Margaret Sullavan

Maureen O'Hara

Ava Gardner

Shirley Temple

Elizabeth Taylor

June Haver

Susan Hayward

Betty Grable

Betty Hutton

Paulette Goddard

Lucille Ball

Natalie Wood

Janet Leigh

Jimmy Stewart,Red Skelton.Red Buttons,Dick Rowan,

Source(s): Does that give a clue how old I am

Doris Day is still alive just letting you know. I LOVE her movies. You should see Pillow Talk if you haven't, no doubt her best.

Ginger Rogers... Shes great, but i like her other half better: Fred Astaire

Rita Hayworth! What a beautiful woman she was. I Love her in Pal Joey with Frank Sinatra... I love Frank Sinatra period.

Judy Garland ofcourse is magnificent. Gene Kelly was in awe of her. And as a Gene Kelly groupie (not literally) I am in awe of her.

Marylon monroe's best film is Some Like it Hot. Its The BEST comedy of all time!

Vivien Leigh... She's either Gone With the Wind, Guys& Dolls, or Kiss Me Kate.... they're all Viviens and i mix them up. But I love all those movies so she must be great.

LESLIE CARON! my FAVORITE musical of all-time is Gigi , BEST MUSICAL EVER.

Ava Gardner, what a sex kitten. That lucky broad got to marry Frank sinatra.

elizabeth Taylor, personally i was never a fan of hers.

Lucille Ball. Genius. Love her show. Love her. Im currently watching Best Fott Forward... not really fond of the movie, but she is radiant.

Then Natalie Wood, ofcourse, West Side Story. Tragic how she died though, almost like a conspiracy in my opinion.

Some people you didn't mention: Debbie Reynolds (Singin' in the Rain, The Tender Trap), Ann Margaret ( Kitten With a Whip), Lauren Baucal ( The Big Sleep, and MANY movies)

I am also a "teenager" (17), if you will. I love love love classic movies. Let me recommend some.

Musicals:

Call Me Madam

Gigi

Singin' in the Rain

Funny Girl

Guys&Dolls

Meet Me in St. Louis

Comedies:

Some Like it Hot

Pillow Talk

Lover Come Back

Send me no flowers

Move Over Darling

Mystery:

THe Big Sleep ( The dialogue is great)

Also, why didn't you mention men? There are SOOOOOOOOO many great men from that era:

Gene Kelly

Humphray Bogart

Paul Newman

Frank sinatra

Donald O'connor

Fred AStaire

Bing Crosby

Jack Lemmon

louis Jordan

Maurice Chevalier

Rock Hudson

Tony Randall

Marlon Brando

etc.

• Susan

Oft accused of being of being overly patriotic - too BRITISH than is seemly or sensible - I'd love to choose Caine, Hopkins, Hurt, Niven, Finney, Grant, Sellers, Mason, Firth, Sher, Jacobi, Laurie, Oldman - amongst MANY Brits who I think have had 'great careers' on screen'. NOT a random list - I've never rated Olivier, Guinness, Mills, Attenborough and others as 'especially good' actors - but then I'm bit of a picky fuss-pot when it comes to 'acting'. And therefore hope to be taken (fairly) seriously - in nominating Johnny Depp as best of the bunch - the actor I think 'has it all' - and is still young enough to do a whole lot more. Haven't seen all his films - but he seems to have covered a very wide range of roles, periods, characters, etc in a remarkable 'chameleon' sort of way - with consummate ease, as if acting's a breeze - and he is 'unto the manner born'. ; )))

My favorites . . . .

Singers: Jeanette MacDonald, Betty Hutton, Jane Powell, Alice Faye, Deanna Durbin.

Dancers: Ann Miller, Betty Grable

Actresses: Barbara Stanwyck, Ann Sheridan, Ingrid Bergman, Brigitte Bardot, Ava Gardner, Ann Sothern, Jane Russell, Myrna Loy, Bette Davis, Kim Novak, Gene Tierney, Audrey Hepburn, Joan Fontaine, Joan Leslie, Claire Trevor, Kay Francis, Ann Harding, Linda Darnell, Madeleine Carroll.

You didnt mention the many character actresses like Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter, Eve Arden.

Source(s): a movie fan

Add Claire Trevor (Key Largo) to this list. To those asking about June Haver, she was married to Fred MacMurray. Two of her most popular movies were "The Dolly Sisters" with Betty Grable - 1945 and "Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!" with Lon McCallister and Walter Brennan - 1948

Ann Margret - dancer.

I remember the names and a lot of the actresses. Ava Gardner came from my home state. Olivia deHaviland was in Gone with the Wind with Vivien Lee, Grace Kelly made a movie here at the Biltmore Estate. I remember Natalie Wood Janet Leigh, Lucille Ball. Never saw Greta Garbo. I used to get into the movie theater because my older brother was an usher there, and he would let me in free. I can remember June Haver's name, but not her face. I think everyone remembers Shirley Temple, and all the kids wanted to have hair like those ringlets and shoes like she wore.

Source(s): My memories of movie stars.
  • Lynn

I remember each one on your list. I was a fan of old movies and some I saw as a child in theaters. You must have forgotten two other actresses that began as singers and one was a skilled ice skater.

The skater was Sonya Hennie. And Katherine Greyson, was a singer and actress. Greyson, had the

female lead, in the movie, "Showboat", with Howard Keel co starring. That was probably my favorite

movie for that time period. There was also Greer Garson, who was a serious actress from the 40's. As well as Deborah Kerr. She played opposite Robert Mitchum in "Heaven Knows Mr Allison",

among others.

• Laredo

Oh dear I must be getting old I remember them all, well the name June Haver did not ring a bell so I looked her up and once I saw the photo of her I knew who she was as well.

I did not see Joan Crawford Lauren Bacall, or Debbie Reynolds on your list, what a wonderful list of actresses, all greats in their time. How wonderful that someone so young is interested in the Hollywood Greats, believe me when I say those ladies could act and some of them had real class!

Thank you for the list and your interest in classic films. I know about all of them except June Haver. Was she the one who was the little sister of Gypsy Rose Lee? Although, that may have been June Havoc. Does anybody know?

My favorite of all of them was Judy Garland, and I just watched The Band Wagon with Cyd Charisse. I've got Gigi with Leslie Caron waiting in my Netflix queue.

Katharine Hepburn was an amazing woman. You should read her autobiography titled "Me".

One you might have added was Agnes Moorehead who was in many Orson Welles movies.