Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 years ago

trace family history for free!?

im doing a project for school about last names and the history of my last name, so what r some websites or books i can use (websites for FREE, no charge(idc bout the book)) but something that can help me wit thi s project

Best Answer

For surnames only I would use ancestry.com and surnamedb.com. For specific ancestors I would use a family tree on ancestry.com with familysearch.org to help you find them.

Source(s): Personal experience.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

trace family history for free!?

Source(s): trace family history free: https://tr.im/n4bsl

You asked for help to trace your family history and then you ask about your last name history. Those are 2 entirely different issues and are not related. The history of your name has absolutely nothing to do with your family history. Where your name came from has nothing to do with where your family came from. There are tons of Smith families for example. They did not all come from the same person and are not all related. All their different family lines had different origins from each other and from your family as well (if your name was Smith, for example).

Here is the link to the Ancestry surname origin page.

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/default.aspx?l...

You won't be tracing your family tree; that would take you 100 - 300 hours, with a steep learning curve, and $159 for a year's subscription to Ancestry.com.

Lost of sites can be used for free, but you still need to pay for certificates to 'prove' which are the correct parents/spouses etc. Start by speaking to family, taking copies of any certs, and taking notes of anything that they recall.