What is a used grain bin worth?

I have a grain bin on my property that was erected in the mid 1970's. It holds about 2000 bushels. The roof is rusty but seems to still be structurally sound, the bin walls and floor are rust free. The dryer fan is rusted beyond repair. The unloading auger appears to be in good condition but I think the motor that drives it has rusted bearings. The bin is located in Northeastern South Carolina. Can someone give me an idea on what the bin is worth to sell as is?

I am not getting rid of it to make money. I have someone who maybe interested in buying it and just wanted to know a fair asking price.

Favorite Answer

Not much. A 1000 bushel can be moved on a trailer without disassembly but that's not the case with yours. There's just about as much work in taking one apart as there is putting it together. You could probably leave two sheets intact end to end, but any rusted bolts are a real pain. Torching them off will ruin the galvanize. 2000 bushel bins are an oddball size anymore and are too small for large operators and too big for small hobby farms.

If you can get $500 I'd consider you lucky. It may be worth more as salvage metal.

• byerly

Used Grain Bin Prices

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is a used grain bin worth?

I have a grain bin on my property that was erected in the mid 1970's. It holds about 2000 bushels. The roof is rusty but seems to still be structurally sound, the bin walls and floor are rust free. The dryer fan is rusted beyond repair. The unloading auger appears to be in good condition but I...

Source(s): grain bin worth: https://tr.im/tawOo
  • I have forgotten how bushels convert into tons of grain. We purchased our used grain bin from a local dairy. It holds 6 tons worth of corn. It's from the 1980's. The ladder on the side of the bin is loose. The bolts rusted and broke off.

We purchased it for $50, and they loaded it with large tractors, and lots of young man power onto our 40 foot flatbed trailer.

So your grain bin might not be worth as much as you think. Check out your local Craigslist adds and see if anyone is advertising something similar. Then if you want a quick sale, price yours cheaper, or wait until and if theirs sells. See if they have to drop their price a bunch.

Also when you list it, be sure to give people ideas of other uses they might have for it, rather that "just" grain storage. Tree house, chicken house, storage, ect.

~Garnet

Permaculture homesteading/farming over 20 years

• soiltx

bikinkaw is right...scrap metal, take it apart and sell it to a yard by weight.