Buying a car Legit or no?

Im from california btw

This was on craigslist.

Hello,

I have received your email regarding the 2004 Toyota Corolla S with 103,000 miles on it.

The car is in perfect condition, no scratches on it, no damage, clear title.

The price for the car is $3100 with shipping included. I'm selling the car at this price because I can't enjoy it due to my job (I work as a casino dealer on a cruise ship) and I left the car in Miami/Florida at the shipping company. I'm a single woman and I have nobody close who can use it. The car was my husband`s who loved it very much, but he did not enjoy it as he died in IRAQ 3 months ago. It brings very bad memories to me, I want to get rid of it. The buyer will receive the car with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it to his name. Shipping will be done whit DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days. I have a friend there who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is my duty to pay for shipping it.It will be delivered directly to your address.

Anyway, I have to let you know that I want a fast deal so if you are really interested in buying it, please reply with the following information:

-Your full name;

-Your shipping address (street,city,state,zip code)

-Your phone number

The transaction will be done only through eBay so we both will be protected.

I want eBay because as they are the biggest company on the internet I think that we can close this deal fast and safe for both of us. Also I am not very familiar with the internet transactions and eBay is the only one I know. I will look for your email, so that we can move forward with this deal!

Let me know.

Regards,

Favorite Answer

3 things prove that this is a scam

1st The seller contacted you. Did you solicit info for this car? probably not. They give you a long and difficult to follow story to try and make it sound as if it is a good deal. Then they say it will be delivered to you. Have you seen the car in person? The seller has to be there to have the title transferred over, where is he......on a cruise ship? And the price is way lower than value.....'

2nd They ask for your Address and Phone number. Why do they do this? Easy see number three.

3rd they tell you it will be handled on ebay. Well they will redirect you to a phising site designed to look like ebay. Check the adress, does it say "ebay" directly after the www.? probably not it is a redirect designed to look like bay. When you log in they are stelaing your login info for ebay including your password and accress to your account. At this point they also have access to any credit information you have on there or paypal.

Back to number 2, they need you personal information to be able to authenticate purchases with your credit card. They also need this when you change your address in the ebay system. They will ask you to confirm your old one before updating the new one.

And in three easy steps, your identity is now stolen, and all of the sudden you have a 10,000 credit card bill for a bunch of rubber bands that were bought and shipped to Nigeria that you never bought.

This is a scam that has been prevalent on ebay for a few years.....nothing they can do to stop it, the perpatrators will shut sown shop when discovered and then open a new site back up doing the exact same thing.

You can report this to ebay, go to the cutomer service area, and go to report fraud. fill the form out and then give them the copy of the email.

Source(s): 3500 rating on ebay, Sell 30 cars a year on ebay and tons of other stuff

Hey, have you ever seen that movie "Scanners"? That part where the guy's head explodes? That's how these questions make me feel...

First off, its been asked and answered here a thousand times or more

Second, at the top of the Craigslist auto section, it very clearly says "OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT". If that is not enough to deter you, click the banner and you will see copies of emails just like yours.

Of course its a scam... There are more red flags here than Tienamin Square.

It certainly won't be FAIR and it wont be easy. These businesses are predators looking to take advantage of their customers and maximize their own profits. They won't offer you anything close to what your truck is really worth. if you want to sell your truck put an ad on Craigslist and sell it yourself to avoid being ripped off.

I agree it is a little weird. And I would never buy sight unseen. You should go there and buy it personally, or contract through a local dealership to check it out and maybe even buy it for you.

Don't let them do the shipping, because then you have absolutely no control at all. You could buy one car and they could ship something completely different.