Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

What are some good books you recommend?

With summertime fast approaching, I am looking for a list of good books I can read while I soak up some rays by the pool. =) I read just about everything. An example of last year's summer reads for me were Fahrenheit 451 (awesome), The Great Gatsby (good), the Twilight series (entertaining), You'll Never Nanny in this Town Again (blah), and Go Ask Alice (loved it). As you can see, I like to read a variety of different types of books. The main thing all of these books have in common, and that I ask for, is that they are pretty easy reads. Mainly, I want something entertaining. Based on all of this, what are some good books you have read that you recommend? (Oh, and I do NOT read romance novels. LOL) Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

*TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY by: Jay Asher

Clay Jensen, an average high school student, returns home from school one day to find a box sitting on his doorstep. Upon opening it, he discovers that it is a shoebox containing seven cassette tapes recorded by the late Hannah Baker—his old classmate and crush who recently committed suicide. The tapes were initially mailed to one classmate with instructions to pass them from one student to another, in the style of a chain letter. On the tapes, Hannah explains to twelve people how they played a role in her death, by giving thirteen reasons to explain why she took her life.

*Deadline by: Chris Crutcher

The story follows 18-year-old Ben Wolf who has been diagnosed with a rare, incurable leukemia. Instead of receiving treatment, Ben decides to pack a lifetime of living in one year. Ben Wolf has big things planned for his senior year. Had big things planned. Now what he has is some very bad news and only one year left to make his mark on the world.

The Giver by: Luis Lowry

The novel follows a boy named Jonas through the twelfth year of his life. The society has eliminated pain and strife by converting to "Sameness", a plan which has also eradicated emotional depth from their lives. Jonas is selected to inherit the position of "Receiver of Memory," the person who stores all the memories of the time before Sameness, in case they are ever needed to aid in decisions that others lack the experience to make. When Jonas meets the Giver, he is confused in many ways. The Giver is also able to break some rules, such as turning off the speaker and locking his door. As Jonas receives the memories from the previous receiver—the "Giver"—he discovers how shallow his community's life has become.

Among The Hidden Series by: Margaret Peterson Haddix

Luke Garner, a twelve-year-old third child, lives on a farm with his Mother, Father, and two brothers, Mathew and Mark. As a third child, Luke and his parents are in violation of the law. Luke, as well as all third children, must spend their days hidden or away from public view. The government starts building houses in the woods behind the Garner's house, and Luke is forced to hide inside, in total isolation from the outside world.

*Flowers in the Attic by: V.C Andrews

Cathy (12), Chris (14), & Cory and Carrie (5) are sent away to live in their grandmother's attic after the passing of their father, their mother was offered a fortune if only she can keep her darling children a secret from her father. They were only suppose to be up there a day or two, no more but the brutal days swelled into agonizing years. (Has been on many banned book lists because of incestual sexual content. but is intended for young adult audiences)

The Outsiders by: S.E. Hinton

The book follows two rival groups, the Greasers and the Socs who are divided by their socioeconomic status.

*Twisted by: Laurie Halse Anderson

Tyler ends up with a popular girl at school named Bethany. After attending a wild high school party, Tyler Miller finds himself as the prime suspect in a scandal involving one of the most popular girls in school. This results in Tyler and this girl becoming the new sex image of their school. Facing a serious charge, Tyler sets out not only to fix his reputation, but his entire life.

Rat Life by: Tedd Arnold

The dead body found in the Chemanga River has nothing to do with Todd. He's been busy making beds at the family motel and writing alien stories to entertain his friends. Sure, a murder is big news, but what would really interest him? A paying job and a story line free of UFOs and poop jokes. And then he meets Rat.

Just a little older than Todd, Rat's already been to Vietnam and back. He's got a tattoo and a messed-up family life. And when he offers Todd a gig at the drive-in theater, Todd takes it. After all, it pays actual money. But hanging out with Rat leads to a host of strange experiences and perplexing questions. More and more, that corpse from the river is on Todd's mind, and no matter how he shifts the pieces around, Rat is always part of the puzzle.

The Goats by: Brock Cole

Stripped and marooned on a small island by their fellow campers, a boy and a girl form an uneasy bond that grows into a deep friendship when they decide to run away and disappear without a trace.

Fat Kid Rules The World by: K.L. Going

Seventeen-year-old Troy, depressed, suicidal, and weighing nearly 300 pounds, gets a new perspective on life when a homeless teenager who is a genius on guitar wants Troy to be the drummer in his rock band.

Boy Toy by: Barry Lyga

Josh is now a senior baseball player in high school. But when he was 12 he was sexually assulted by his hot history teacher and the whole town knows about it. The story tells about his past, present, and what is to become of the future.

[Some good books that I've randomly read the ones that are *starred* are my personal favorites I would suggest Flowers in the Attic or anything b

The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins

The Outsiders- S.E. Hinton

The Looking Glass Wars- Frank Beddor

The Penderwicks- Jeanne Birdsall

Misty of Chincoteague- Marguerite Henry

Reaching for Sun- Tracie Vaughn Zimmer

The DaVinci Code- Dan Brown

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas- John Boyne

The God Delusion- Richard Dawkins

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Mary Ann Shaffer

There are plenty more books I could recommend. Feel free to email me :)

Hope I Helped!

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb A Kiss In Time, Beastly, Cloaked - Alex Finn Anna Dressed in Blood - Blake Blood and Chocolate - Annette Klause Carrier of the Mark - Fallon Dark Lover – Ward Falling Under - Gwen Hayes Grave Mercy - LaFevers Haven - Kristi Cook Sea Witch - Kantra Sookie Stackhouse Series - Charlaine Harris Vampire Academy – Mead

something that would really occupy your time would be the Harry Potter Series, its very entertaining and addicting. but if you dont want something like that you could try Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, it is one of the best books i have ever read in my life. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas you would also might like, it is such an amazing story and is a great book.

i hope i helped : )

Deffinatly read The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins!! I LOVE that book! ooooh soooo good! look up the reviews, buy it, read it, youll fall in love with it! The books following it are Catching Fire, and then Mockingjay (which comes out in august of 2010!)

One book that I will forever love is The 5 People You Meet In Heaven, it's radically good.

okay.

Bottled Up by Jay Murray (have yet to read)

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins (one of my favorites)

Identical by Ellen Hopkins (cant wait to read)

Burned by Ellen Hopkins (loved this one)

Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan (This is a series.I have read up to the forth book.Pretty entertainging while it lasted.:])

You Dont Know me by David klass (read it in middle school..pretty good)

Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos (pretty good)

Hmmm..is that a good list? :]

Im almost done with War and Peace and I love it, next is Pride and Prejudice. = ) I made a bucket list of books to read before I die.

robinson crusoe is a favorite of mine, once you get past the introduction part of the story that puts him on the island by himself.