promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does C++ change over time?

Im looking into buying a C++ textbook so i can teach myself but the book written in 2008 is $100 plus but the older edition written in 2006 is only like $15. Im completely new and am trying to learn.... Does c++ change overtime like how windows changes so often??? completely newb question

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Me M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

C++ does change a little bit, but not much. Most times, the revisions just add in a few extra features. Very rarely does any language do something so drastic that it would render old code unusable. In fact, I do not believe that C++ has ever done something this drastic.

The last standardized change to C++ was made in 2003 (according to Wikipedia). So, assuming that you are learning standard C++, the older version of the book should be for describing the language.

However, some books also describe tools/programs (ie Microsoft Visual Studio or Eclipse) that are used to help programmers. As newer versions of these program are released more frequently, the information specifically related to the use of these tools may become outdated. Some other books focus on 3rd party languages based on C++ (ie Visual C++ .NET). While very similar, the 3rd party variations are not standard C++ and are not obligated to stick to ISO standards... This means changes might have been made to the language on a different time table... so a couple small changes may have been made between 2006 and 2008. Just look at the book and see if it is teaching C++ or something like Microsoft's Visual C++.

So if your book spends a lot of time walking your through programs (like MS Visual Studio), then you may be a bit confused if their software has changed a great deal. However if you book focuses on the ANSI/ISO standard C++, then the only changes in the book are, most likely, the correction of typos, slightly more modern references/examples, and maybe slightly better descriptions in confusing topics.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • oops
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It does actually. It was standardized in 1998 and that standard is still in effect, although there were some corrections made in 2003. There is another standard in the works that should be introduced within the next few years. Between 2006 and 2008 however, there were no changes. Even with the upcoming revision to the standard, whatever you learn now will still be completely valid C++.

• 1 decade ago

The core of C++ doesn't change that much, books written in the 90's can still apply today, however particular implementations of C++ will change examples being Visual C++, Borland C++ - these all contain their own implementations for linking with certain platforms, for example, Windows has the .NET library which is constantly changing.

Learning the foundations of C++, you can use any decent book, however learning a particular implementation that's targeted for a certain platform, get the most up to date book you can find.

• lavzon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

B is the closest. i attempt to stay open minded and truthful. If something is reported and that i hit upon that there is benefit i'm going to study the counsel. I used Bible concordances of Hebrew and Greek and Commentaries of numerous different pupils. many circumstances I even have discovered fanciful thinking and upload-ons that have not have been given everywhere in biblical know-how or coaching. there have been many many circumstances that i grew to become into incorrect. This handed off maximum in many circumstances as a sparkling student. I even have yet lots to earnings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, the language doesn't change. There are many C++ books written in the 90's that are still widely used today.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As I know,C++ will be used long time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.