promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Katie asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Jazz and Modern Dance?

Just wandering, what's the difference between the two?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

True modern dance (not contemporary) is very specific with a definite set of rules for each of the disciplined styles. Martha Graham, Horton, Limon, Dunham and Cunningham are the major modern styles. There are other styles that have branched off from those such as Paul Taylor, Parsons and Alvin Ailey. These are performed barefooted and unlike ballet (which it was based on) involve a sense of being grounded as opposed to floating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjFdmIlVMs

Youtube thumbnail

Jazz is danced to contemporary or theater music. It can be danced in jazz shoes, jazz sneakers or character shoes with heels for women. Jazz dancer's technique is based on ballet technique. All movement emanates from a strong center (core.) Other styles can be incorporated into jazz such as hip hop, contemporary and acro. A good example of a jazz class would be this class from the film Center Stage that Vlad used in another answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r5EXlKypEg

Youtube thumbnail

*The chances that "true modern" disciplines would be taught at you school is not likely if you are in a small studio. People tend to call almost anything modern these days. Because the term is used incorrectly, you would have to see just what your studio means by it if you were thinking about taking class. In the professional dance world those terms hold true and the term contemporary dance is used for what many call modern, modern jazz and to some slight extent lyrical (which really doesn't exist outside of competitions and studios.)

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Lyrical: I miss You - Miley Cyrus those 4 partitions - Miley Cyrus The Climb - Miley Cyrus Butterfly Fly Away - Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus Ghost of You - Selena Gomez candy Serendipity - Lee DeWyze misery - Maroon 5 Animal - Neon timber complicated - Avril Lavgine White Horse - Taylor speedy by no skill improve Up - Taylor speedy present day: dissimilar the songs from Pirates of the Caribbean will artwork rather nicely! additionally try some songs with a greater jungle sounding style of ingredient. those circulate nicely with a fashionable dance! (Sorry i did no longer have precise songs for present day.) Jazz: Animal - Neon timber Proud Mary - Tina Turner ( i'm doing a jazz dance to this, and it makes for an extremely relaxing piece!) If I Had You - Adam Lambert Firework - Katy Perry spotlight - Selena Gomez summer's no longer warm - Selena Gomez it rather is okay, it rather is okay - Ashley Tisdale in accordance to You - Orianthi female pal - Avril Lavgine stable success at the same time with your solo!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jazz coukld be a wide variety of things. It could be mor eon the broadway side, or a fast beat dance to popular music.

Modern is a very flowing style of dance, used with many ballet moves but in a wider way of expression

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The quickest answer to this is that Jazz is what is, or has been popular. True Jazz is everything from Fosse to Footloose, Michael Jackson to (at times) pop.

As for Modern, every person you talk to will have their own opinion of what defines modern, and it depends on your teachers (my main instructor was Mia Michaels associate), but I consider true modern to be expressive dance. Spiritual/church lyrical, storytelling through dance.. but all dancing from something inside, often abstract. Modern was my specialty and teaching it is more fun that you can imagine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.