will you stop going to the movies?

I already have gone less to the movies throughout the last few years because of price hikes...I think i may be done after this (Credit Wall Street Journal for this article).

Major U.S. movie-theater chains, seeking to accelerate the surge in revenues fueled by such 3-D hits as "Avatar" and "Alice in Wonderland," are imposing some of the steepest increases in ticket prices in at least a decade.

The new prices take effect Friday in many markets across the country in theaters owned by such major exhibitors as Regal Entertainment Group, Cinemark Holdings Inc. and AMC Entertainment Inc.

More from WSJ.com:

• 3-D Powered Box Office Surge

• Did the Academy Awards Kill the 'Oscar Bump'?

• James Cameron on the Coming DVD Release of 'Avatar'

The increases, in one case as much as 26%, vary from theater to theater, but many cinemas are raising prices most—or even solely—for 3-D showings, which accounted for the vast majority of last year's 10% jump in domestic box-office sales. 3-D movies generated 11% of domestic ticket sales in 2009, up from just 2% in 2008.

At an AMC theater in Danvers, Mass., a Boston suburb, 3-D ticket prices are jumping more than 20% to $17.50 from $14.50, while the adult admission price for a conventional film will remain at $10.50. At one Seattle multiplex, adult admission is rising to $11 from $10 for a conventional film, to $15 from $13.50 for a regular 3-D showing and to $17 from $15 for Imax 3-D.

A 3-D Imax movie at New York City's AMC Loews Kips Bay will cost $19.50, up from $16.50.

The increases weren't announced by the theater operators, but were reflected in prices posted Wednesday on movie-ticketing Web sites, such as Fandango.com.

AMC and Cinemark declined to comment. Comment from Regal wasn't immediately available.

Popular Stories on Yahoo!

• Rock Stars' Financial Blunders Revealed

• How to Tell if You're Middle-Class

• Tracking Down Your Tax Refund

More from Yahoo! Finance

The industry's move comes on the heels of a record-setting year at the domestic box office, with revenue surpassing $10 billion for the first time. Movie attendance in the U.S. and Canada grew 5.5% in 2009, with 1.42 billion tickets sold, the most since 2004. Ticket sales so far this year are running 10% higher.

Movie theaters typically charged $2 to $3 extra for 3-D movies. But the brisk demand for the premium-priced tickets led many exhibitors to conclude they were still underpriced. About 83% of the record $2.6 billion in ticket sales for "Avatar" came from 3-D and Imax screens. And Walt Disney Co.'s "Alice in Wonderland" also set records when it hit 3-D screens earlier this month.

While the new prices could boost theater owners' already buoyant revenues, some industry watchers think they could also spark a consumer backlash. Studios, theater operators, and trade groups have long touted films as a bargain, compared with other forms of entertainment. A decade ago, the average ticket at a multiplex was $5.39, but prices have edged up between 2.7% and 6.1% a year since then, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.

"The U.S. economy isn't in the greatest shape, and there is definitely risk here in pushing price too far in a weak economy," said Richard Greenfield, a media analyst at BTIG LLC, who issued a research report Wednesday on the price hikes.

Mr. Greenfield said the next month will serve as a test of the strategy. "We'll have a sense if there is any pushback" from moviegoers, he said.

Some movie-studio executives expressed concern that the price increases might be too much too soon. "The risk we run is that we will no longer be the value proposition that we as an industry have prided ourselves on," said a distribution executive at one major studio.

Other studio executives agreed that the move was risky, but some, like Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution for Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros., expressed support. "The exhibitors are trying to push the needle on ticket prices and see where it ends up," Mr. Fellman said. "So far charging a $3 or $4 premium has had no effect on consumers whatsoever, so I'm in favor of this experiment to raise prices even more. There may be additional revenue to earn here."

Studios are also in a bind. While many are wary of appearing to gouge consumers, they are also facing higher costs as they produce more movies in the technology-heavy 3-D format. Though ticket prices are set by theater operators, the proceeds are split roughly 50-50 with movie studios.

Five major 3-D films are opening in theaters over the next three months, starting this weekend with DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc.'s "How to Train Your Dragon." That rich selection is one reason theater owners chose to raise 3-D ticket prices now. It may also help set consumers' expectations for future 3- films.

Imax 3-D tickets to "Dragon" are expected to cost an average $1, or 7%, more than Imax tickets to Disney's "A Christmas C

Favorite Answer

It just means that IF I do go see a movie, I'm not hitting their concession stand. But it seems to me...I'm going to be going to my local drive in theater a lot more this year. :-)

First of all, it's a movie, made for entertainment. While there is some fact to it, it's dramatized for entertainment purposes. Soldier's are not against going to war and they are not unwilling to return to iraq. What the movie is about is the fact that a soldier wanted out and was stop lossed. The Army was and may still be doing this because they cannot get enough recruits. As for my husband he has been to Iraq and wouldn't mind the chance to go back. There is good being done over there, it's just not reported in the news because people would rather hear the bad stuff than the good. Don't base all your opinions on a movie. Actually research stuff first, which you are trying to do. But Micheal Moore used soldiers and Marines for his own end and twisted a lot of what they said to make his point and in the process ended a lot of military careers. Stop Loss is a movie and just that. No one is going to want to watch a movie that is based on the boring truth. Does everyone want to go back No, but let's not make it out to generalize how every soldier, sailor, marine or airman feels. That's not right. Every one is different and every situation is different.

I won't stop seeing movies all together, however my movie habits have been changing and now will have to even more. With the economy as bad as it is I'm very irritated that a multi-billion dollar business has to go to such extremes to earn even more. The theater by me has gone up $3.50/ticket in the past year. Pretty soon only the wealthy will watch movies. We used to go as a family every time something good came out. Now we wait for the dollar theater. Once in a while something will come out that we just can't wait for. Instead of taking the whole family just my husband and I go or we take the child that's just dying to see it.

Also, I don't listen anymore to the stats of what movie breaks records by earning the most money. As long as they keep hiking up the prices I think it's all skewed. The number of tickets sold is what's really the true stat.

• Yeah. Movies are not really worth the price any more. I seriously doubt if I will go more than once a year now. We used to go like once a month. In 2009 I only went to the cinema to see 3 movies...."Avatar", "Sherlock Holmes" and "Star Trek 11". And all of those I downloaded and watched first to make sure I wasn't going to waste my money.

U definitely have to check out a movie online first before going so u don't pay to see crappy stuff. Cinemas (except in rare instances) don't give refunds for crappy movies. That might change here in BC tho if some people get their way and get some laws passed.

I stopped going to the movie theaters a long time ago! now there raising prices even higher. thank god for rentals!

no I dont think I will ever stop going to the movies

as long as avatar is still playing i will go.