How can I find out what a Polish gulden (now called a zloty) was worth in 1896?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I believe an 1896 Polish gulden was worth approximately 15 cents (in 1930 U.S. currency). How/where can I find out what it was worth in 1896 (as stated in 2009 U.S. currency)?
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
I am no expert in 19th Century Polish coins. But, I am always fascinated by Central European history. Poland seemed heavily dominated by other nations. Depending upon which year you were speaking of, territory might have been Poland or Prussia/Germany or Austria-Hungary or Russia.

I believe Austria-Hungary used a gulden in Galizia which was Poland, but now is Western Ukraine.
Take a look at pp.30-31 in this text. It speaks of silver and gold gulden coins used by Austria-Hungary, in addition to 4- and 8-gulden gold coins. It describes a drop in the value of silver at the time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dAJDAAA...

The following gives you additional color for 18th Century Polish coinage, which while not directly germain to your question will help you see Prussia's role in manufacturing Polish currency.

http://books.google.com/books?id=GsJtAAA...

When you speak of value, you need to decide what specifically you want.
- The value of a gulden in 1896, adjusted to 2009
- The value of a (I'll assume silver) gulden coin from 1896, melted down in 2009 terms
- The collector's value of a (silver) gulden coin from 1896, in 2009 prices

This is not a job for your average coin collector. I would suggest getting 2 or 3 estimates from experts who specialize in coins from this period and region.

You have national boundaries that are shifting over time. You have different monetary systems that are being integrated over time. You have differing inflation rates. You have rare metals such as silver and gold that have been fluctuating in value over the years. And, today, you have national currencies that float. So, you almost need a sophisticated econometric model to answer your question... :)

If your Q is serious and you possess such a coin, I suggest contacting 2 or 3 coin dealers that specialize in this time period for Central European coins.

Source:

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
i believe, you're right! many thanks!
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (1)

• George M answered 4 years ago
    The zloty was abolished as a currency in 1850 and replaced by the Russian ruble. That was then replace by the Polish mark (equivalent to the German mark) after 1917, and after the mark's hyperinflation the zloty was reintroduced in 1924.

That means that in terms of currency an 1896 zloty did not exist. There were cold coins (akin in use to the modern day US Gold Eagle) called zloty, which would have been worth whatever the gold price was at the time.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock