Make this a good and awesome computer on cheap budget?

I'm 15 and starting a part time job soon, I love to play fps games, and I'm trying to look for a cheap and awesome gaming computer. I'm tired of playing on my very weak laptop that can barely hold 60 fps in my favorite game Combat Arms on the lowest settings. I know a lot about computer parts, but I'm still need a lot of help making my own computer. Here is a site I'm trying to customize my own computer in. Is there any way I can make it cheaper, but still have good performance? or at least a different site that has the same things for cheaper price?

Site: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?...

Here are the stats:

Netbook / Notebook Bundle: None

Case: iBUYPOWER CX-5B59 Gaming Tower Case Black/Silver

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion: None

Case Lighting: None

Processor: [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)

Processor Cooling: Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance

Memory: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module - Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 – 1GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards)

Video Card Brand: Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA

Motherboard: [SLI] ASUS P5N-D -- NVIDIA nForce 750i Chipset w/ Raid, 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 MB

Motherboard Add-on: None

Power Supply: 800 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready

Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive: None

Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

2nd Optical Drive: None

Flash Media Reader/Writer: 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Meter Display: None

Floppy Drive: None

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Network Card: **$99 - $20 Instant Rebate!** Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit

Monitor: None

2nd Monitor: None

Speaker System: iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA]: None

USB Flash Drive: None

Power Protection: None

Headset: None

MP3/MP4 Player: None

Video Camera: None

Warranty: Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support

Rush Service: Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days

Additional Software: Microsoft Works 9.0 (make the most of your home PC)

Total: $1215

Is it possible to change a few things so that I can play the latest games on full settings without lagging? I'm tired of lagging and next thing I know I die and shooting in slow motion all the time. I'm serious when I'm playing my fps games. This is my first real gaming computer, because I'm using a cheap laptop that can barely hold together on the lowest settings I can set. I'm so tired of lagging 24/7.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll upgrade a few things you recommend, but the site doesn't have some of those options so maybe after I get the computer I'll upgrade. For the moment I think I'll get a cheaper computer for now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

Let me know if this computer is any good.

I'm going to get the $1215 computer after I get a decent computer. For now I'm looking for a more possible goal that's under $600.

• C-Man
    Favorite Answer

For around $1200 you can do much better, even with a pre-built Ibuypower system.

I don't think they include the 60-day free trial of Microsoft Office, but big deal.

I agree and disagree with pisces_ascendant and Cozmosis on a few points. First off, the Tom's Hardware System Builder's guides are great, just remember to add the cost of an operating system since those prices are for the hardware only.

Socket 775 isn't "dead", it's just no longer current. Plenty of people with dual-core Intel CPUs will be upgrading to Core 2 quads over the next couple of years, it's just not a platform to pick for a new build. I agree, Socket AM3 offers better bang/buck and a better upgrade path.

800W is overkill for a single GPU system, but reasonable for an SLI/Crossfire rig.

The difference between DDR2 and DDR3 memory isn't significant in terms of real-world performance, about 5% usually (much less than the gains from upgrading other components). But if you go with socket AM3 that's a moot point.

I agree, no sound card needed.

The GTS 250 isn't "ridiculously overpriced". In fact, it's one of the few Nvidia cards that's priced well right now, selling for $15- $25 less than the slower Radeon 5750 (which IS overpriced at $145 considering the Radeon 5770 only costs a little more). I personally prefer going with a single better card instead of two midrange cards (although two 5770's in Crossfire are AMAZING).

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/ati_r...

SLI and Crossfire are wonderful low-cost insurance for future upgrades. I'd rather have a single 5870 today and keep a slot open so 2 years from now I could snag another 5870 or 5850 dirt cheap. Easier on the wallet than buying some expensive next-generation card. But going that route costs $70 more than a pair of 5770's. Save $70 today or save $170 later? Decisions, decisions...

The best option is probably a Phenom II X4 955 & CF mobo.

Anyway, you won't be lagging- that's for sure!!!

Check out Tom's Hardware guide...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/system-builder...

They do real-life testing, component comparisons, and have recommendations for system builds. They don't sell stuff. They just test and make recommendations. I've built a few systems based on their recommendations and have been very happy.

I usually buy components from Newegg.com They're not always the absolute cheapest, but usually pretty close.

The one single component that affects game play (fps) the most is the graphics card. That's where you want to put most of your investment in. Memory, CPU, motherboard are also important, but the graphics card will have the greatest performance influence.

I agree with most everything pisces_ascendant said except for the 800W PS. That's not overkill IMO. And the price difference on a say 650watt-er wouldn't be that much less.

• Anne

An Xbox 360 vertually is a computer, but you would be able to do it with parts from ebay like a zotac micro atx or itx mainboard for 75dollers to one hundred h55 mainboards or z68 micro mini for 175 with a cheap i5 intel and a stick of ram 15dollers. 15 doller power supply ebay and a outdated sata hard drive for 20dollers on ebay. that brings the total without a case go to the local high school see if they have anything laying around as far as cases are concerned. and that's 400 dollers total with the latest tecnology.

you dont need a quad core right now any way you make the desktop it be alot better then ur laptop.

Just focus on the graphic card first.

you can play most games really well with a intel core 2 duo! you can play crysis with a core 2 duo.

you will always be able to add on to your computer and upgrade parts after you get it!. just go cheap on your first desktop and upgrade parts while your go. get a 64 bit os if you planning on upgrading the ram.

everytime i go on ibuypower to buy a pc i always end up adding to much crap that it cost wayyy to much! lol

LGA 775 is a dead socket, don't get that CPU. Go for an AM3 socket.

Why in the world would you get DDR2? Get DDR3.

You probably won't need the sound card.

800W PSU is overkill.

nVidia cards are terribly overpriced right now, don't get that one. Get something like the radeon 5850..

hard drive looks fine. you could consider a small SSD if you're planning to spend 1200$

it looks like a good set up, make sure the mobo is SLI ready so if you want to later you can add a second gts 250

If you want to play high performance games that fast, you are going to need to spend at least that much money. Alienware is good.

I don't really know if this helps.

Question for your question....

What laptop are you using that enables you to play fps???

How Long Ago Did You Get It??

Check out this link: Build an I7 gaming computer. I hope it helps...http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&loc...