Hi Queen K, how are we feeling today =)
This might be something you're looking for, so take a look.
Elliptical VS Stairmaster
So if you are considering working out on the machines at your gym, you may have noticed the Stairmaster and the elliptical machines. While at first glance they may look similar, they are quite different in how they work your body. A Stairmaster simulates walking up a flight of steps, while an elliptical, a cross between a treadmill and a Stairmaster, moves your legs in wide strides.
1. Both machines work the cardiovascular system, although the Stairmaster builds more muscle than the elliptical. The purpose of the elliptical is to simulate a walking motion with wide strides. Many people opt to use the elliptical because it is easier on the joints, compared to the Stairmaster, which can heavily work the knees.
2. Most versions of these machines are electronic, with a computer that will give you the vital information during your workout. Typically, you put the machine into motion to turn it on . Enter a type of workout. Some machines have the ability to save your profile, making it easy to turn on and use. Expect to be able to measure your heart rate, calories burned, and how many steps/strides you will take each minute.
3. Depending on your age, health, medical history and weight, one machine may be better for you to use. The Stairmaster can be a more grueling workout and can be hard on your legs, while the elliptical is still an effective way to burn calories and is easier on your joints. Using a calorie calculator, based on an average weight of 150 lbs., you will burn 300 calories on the elliptical in 30 minutes, compared to 200 calories on the Stairmaster in the same amount of time.
4. Some people believe that the Stairmaster is primarily to build muscles and serves little purpose in weight management. This is false. While the Stairmaster does build muscles, many people swear by its cardiovascular workout as the hardest one in the gym. The elliptical has been labeled as a machine for the older or overweight, but this is also false. Using the elliptical is becoming increasingly popular for people of all ages due to its simplicity and the benefits it can provide.
5. The Stairmaster can help you build muscle, lose weight, maintain health and give your body a tough workout. The elliptical can help you lose or maintain weight, provide your body a low-impact workout and tone your muscles. Either machine can help improve your health, lose weight and improve muscle tone. Expect to see more muscular legs and thighs with long-term use of the Stairmaster, coupled with moderate weight loss. If you opt to use the elliptical, expect to see toned leg muscles but more pronounced weight loss.
So there we go. I hope this helped you pick which one is better for you.
· 10 years ago